Shed roof flexible ridge cap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace the roof felt on a 8' x 6' apex timber garden shed.

The shed is rather old and the main centre ridge dips a bit in the middle as the roof has sagged. I have successfully laid 2 horizontal strips of roof felt along both lower sides but am having trouble with the upper centre piece which spans the ridge, due to the sagging. I can't get it to sit satisfactorily.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please? I have been looking around for a semi flexible strip that I can place over the ridge to hide the rippled felt but can't seem to find anything suitable/affordable. Perhaps an L shaped strip of wood would work, although matching the angle of the roof may be tricky.

Appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
You might be able to straighten the roof out, trying jacking it up in the centre and adding some bracing, often the walls are bowing out in the middle

Couldn't you just add a bit of 2x1 along the ridge? And if necessary a strip of thin ply fixed to the 2x1 on each side? Then bung the apex felt over?

A length of copper pipe?
A length of rubber hose?

Thanks for the suggestion. The shed is fairly old and I agree ideally I would correct the roof but afraid that overall it may not be stable enough.

Also, as I have tried to lay the centre piece of felt along the bowed ridge, I have used quite a few felt pins to try and 'mould' it into shape but am unhappy with the results, so ideally I would like something now to go over the ridge and cover up all the felt pins and buckled felt.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tigercubrider. Sounds a good idea.

Without wanting to sound too penny pinching, I have used the last piece of felt to try and cover the ridge but as I have used lots of felt pins I would prefer to cover this rather than put something under the felt.

I think if I had known an before laying the centre strip that the felt would not fit satisfactorily I would have tried your suggestion.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back