Shed socket and a light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone advise me the easiest safest way to have a double socket and a light in my new build shed/summerhouse. I have a outdoor socket on back wall of house which is fed from a switched fused fuc in house. The shed is 6 metres from back wall. I know about armoured cable and depth of trench ect, could I change the fuc inside for a 30amp rcd spur or something similar... Anyhelp appreciated

Sponsored Links
The SAFEST way is to have a competent electrician do the work for you ;)

You could DIY it, if you know what to do. Obviously the socket must be RCD protected, and this can be done at the house end, or install an RCD socket in the shed.
Lighting is pretty simple, but you'll need to fuse the circuit separately to 3 or 5amp.

SO, dig your trench, drop in your armoured cable. 4mm should be plenty big enough, and connect up/.

So can I just take a feed from the original outdoor socket to the shed into a mk-13a-2-gang-rcd-active-switched-plug-socket then 2.5mm cable to a switched fcu 3amp then 1.5mm to light fitting. Do you need to use external/weatherproof sockets and switches inside a shed? Or are normal indoor ones sufficient? And the wiring inside shed doesn't have to be armoured right.... Just the normal. Or would it be better to change the internal switched fcu for a 13a rcd fused spur

You don't need weather proof sockets inside a shed. You don't need 1.5 mm cable for lighting, 1.00 mm is normal.

Sponsored Links
Hi can anyone advise me the easiest safest way to have a double socket and a light in my new build shed/summerhouse.
Employ a competent electrician
I have a outdoor socket on back wall of house which is fed from a switched fused fuc in house. The shed is 6 metres from back wall.
The minimum size SWA required would be 1.5mm2, that will be quite happy on 13A fuse.
I know about armoured cable and depth of trench ect,
Go on then elaborate on what you intend to do.
could I change the fuc inside for a 30amp rcd spur or something similar... Anyhelp appreciated
You could or protect the sockets at the shed. But your existing outside socket, really should already be protected.

Thanks for all your help guys, so I'm gonna leave the internal switched fcu feeding the single outdoor socket and take a spur from the outdoor socket to the shed using 3core 2.5mm2 Steel Wire Armoured Cable buried in a 18" trench. Connected in the shed to 1 X RCD SAFETY 13 AMP 2 GANG SWITCHED SOCKET then 2.5mm cable to a fcu switched 3amp then 1mm cable to light fitting.....
Will this be ok

or should I increase the size of swa cable to 4mm. A lot of work for a treadmill.but needs must

Ok so I'll just bury the cable and get a qualified electrician in to wire it all up and certificate it. What cable should I get and sockets and fcu and any1 recommend a light fitting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back