Shed wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shed has been in a state of disrepair for a few years.
This has an armoured cable coming from the house which then feeds a socket and light switch in the shed. The light is fed off a fused spur in the shed. For safety, I disconnected power from where it leaves the house due to the state of the shed.

Now that I am planning to repair the shed, I thought it would be sensible to replace the cables in the shed. They are currently fixed to the brickwork with plastic conduit.
I've seen a number of sheds with metal conduit and metal sockets. Is this arrangement more suited to sheds and why please?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
For an general purpose domestic shed I suggest that you use metalclad switches and sockets, but use plastic conduit.

If you go for metal conduit then you’ll have to spend a pile of money buying pipe threaders, maybe pipe benders and much more. Pointless unless you are going to do a lot of it (you won’t), and have the skills on how to do it (with respect, you don’t).

Sponsored Links
For an general purpose domestic shed I suggest that you use metalclad switches and sockets, but use plastic conduit.

If you go for metal conduit then you’ll have to spend a pile of money buying pipe threaders, maybe pipe benders and much more. Pointless unless you are going to do a lot of it (you won’t), and have the skills on how to do it (with respect, you don’t).
There's always ConLock:cry: if you're desperate!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back