Sheered bleed screw on front panel of double rad - problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bleeding my rads the other day after drain and flush and there is a sheered bleed screw on the front panel of a double, the type with bleeds on the back not the side.
This was done before I bought the house, (really - not a my mate is actually me, myself and I story) but it's now my problem to sort out.
If I consider I get enough heat from rear panel alone is it OK to run system like this or will it allow the water to collect air and circulate it causing airlocks in other rads?
Being front panel it would be impossible to drill out and tap it so would have to fit new rad.
Other option although unsightly would be to drill new hole in front (or top or end if very careful) and seal with self tapper, would that be OK until spring when I'll be knocking the window out for patio doors where this rad is so it could be changed then for the new location.

Sponsored Links
Are your bleed screws not fitted into a brass or iron plug in the radiator? this is common, the plugs can be unscrewed either with a biggish spanner on the hex nut, or with a sort of allen key.

these plugs with new screws are readily available.

If not, you might like to look up the price of a new rad, you might prefer replacement to repair.

If it's the first rad after the pump it might accumulate gas, though if you've added a chemical inhibitor there shouldnt be much. If it circulates round you can bleed it out somewhere else.

I'd just leave it as it is for now. It shouldn't cause any other problems other than it not warming up.
Don't start drilling it. You will probably regret it.

Sponsored Links
John D
Not that kind of bleed boss. It's a welded in one and the only thing that scews is the actual bleed screw. It's the second or third on the system depending how the sub floor pipework goes but it's still hot at the top so I would guess it didn't drain either.

Scatman
Thanks. Room is sort of warm enough and we're fitting a woodburner too next week. Wasn't too sure about drilling it. New boiler too in the spring so time to change all the 30 year old rads I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back