Old brass bleed valve broken off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have about 4 rads in a house which cannot be bled due to the old screws shearing off. There is no leak, but i cannot bleed them.

Is this common and does anyone have a solution to take out the snapped off bleed piece.

If i got them out can i buy a replacement bit ?

Or do i need to just scrap these rads and buy new ones? Currently they are working ok, so it isn't the end of the world.

The rads are the type where on each panel there is a bleed valve built in. They are on opposite ends to each other as all the rads are double panels.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've had a look and this could be a solution. Certainly for the front panel, but i am wondering if it will be so easy to screw into the rear panel. I might give the company a call.

I was reading elsewhere you can drill out the old nipples and then replace them from old stock you have knocking about.

I think you have Barlo round top radiators, these wont work on your rad

Sponsored Links
They are round top i think, but will have to get a pic next time i am working there. I spoke to the company and you can only fit into the front leaf successfully.

They are round top i think, but will have to get a pic next time i am working there. I spoke to the company and you can only fit into the front leaf successfully.
just change the rads they are not as expensive as you think, have a look at Toolstation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back