Shelf Design Safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm needing more storage in my house for the bulky items that are getting in the way at the moment. Suitcases, camping equipment, tools, and the like. I stay in an old tenement flat with high ceilings so I'm thinking about building a shelf in my office / storeroom.

Added a sketch for what I was thinking, hopefully someone here with more knowledge can offer some advice (or tell me it's a terrible idea and don't do it). Dimensions are 2.2m off the ground, 3m span, 1.2m depth.

The back wall with the door is a partition wall with 5, possibly 6 studs, so I can secure the back span to the studs. The two side walls are very old brick with (I think) lime mortar, so I don't really want to mess with them too much nor do I trust it to be strong enough. So instead of securing ledgers along the side wall or accessing ceiling rafters, I'm wanting to support it with 3 floor standing columns and some diagonals if necessary. The 4th column in the corner closest to the door is blocked by a radiator, so I would have to secure that side with a joist hanger to the span attached to the wall.

I was thinking 2x4 for the whole lot with a plywood top but then was concerned about sag. I'd probably also try to hang a pull up bar off the front of it next to the column furthest from the door, so thought 2x6 for the lot (or at least the front face) might be better. In case it's relevant, I don't need a 1.2m depth but that's how far the column needs to be to clear the radiator.

Can someone provide advice or is this a terrible idea that I should avoid?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back