Shelf & unit hanging on small cavity plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We went and got a load of shelves, rails and units yesterday, as we're very short on space in the kitchen of our new flat.

Came to fit them on the most spacious wall today and hit a stumbling block.

Drilled my first hole, and it went through about 1cm of plasterboard, then about 1cm gap, then hit brick which my masonry bit isn't touching. I got 40mm screws and plugs, but they're going to be useless.

Do I need to go much longer, get a better drill bit and get right into the brick? Or am I better off trying specualist plasterboard hanging fittings? I couldn't see how some of these would work, with the cavity behind the plaster being so small.

I've been unable to reliably locate any studs or beams either - certainly not where I need to put the shelves.

Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You seem to have dot and dab walls, cavity fixing don't work , you need to drill brickwork, SDS drill is perfect for the job.
Then double the length of your screws.

We only have a standard corded power drill. I'm a big lad and can get weight behind it - will a good quality masonry bit go through into the brick?

The other option is these new Gripit plug fixings, but they're a bit expensive.

Thanks.

will a good quality masonry bit go through into the brick?

Possibly. I use these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231092304102

and they pretty much go through any brick, albeit slowly on very hard old red bricks. Just DO NOT use them on hammer/percussion mode and you don't need to apply loads of pressure, just let the bit do the work.

If still no joy, a cheap corded SDS can be bought for less than 50 quid nowadays, and if you plan on doing a fair bit of drilling, then it's well worth getting one if you have tough brickwork.

Gaz :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
We only have a standard corded power drill. I'm a big lad and can get weight behind it - will a good quality masonry bit go through into the brick?

The other option is these new Gripit plug fixings, but they're a bit expensive.

Thanks.
You need to fix to brickwork for a shelf, it will rip a hole in plasterboard whatever fixing is used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back