Shelving material?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for shelving material for my shed.
I currently have many slot brackets and just need the actual shelf.

When I moved in the wood was covered in mould. I've placed an air brick and bought new moisture resistant MDF sheets. These have also moulded really quickly.

I think it may be due to humditiy from keeping car towels and a jet wash in the shed.

Anyway. I'm looking for new shelving material that isn't wood. Maybe metal or plastic. Does anyone have an idea for some inexpensive shelving material that is non wood?

I was looking at roof metal sheets as they're cheap and stacking a few on top of each other.

I've attached a pic of the shed

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Snapchat-1800701803.jpg
    Snapchat-1800701803.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
Put something waterproof on the floor. Lift it up a week later. Is water coming up through the floor?

Are the gutters spilling?

You didn't mention how you ventilate this shed.

In most sheds the shelves have to support quite heavy loads, such as metal tools or tins of paint. Hence your shelves need to be strong. Despite your aversion to wood, if wooden shelves are thorougly primed and gloss-painted with oil-based paints they should be long-lasting and easily wiped down if they ever have surface mould on them.

Sponsored Links
Don't let jet wash freeze or that will need to be dumped. Will split the pipes or bust the motor and water will leak come spring when you use.
Re condensation.
Vent either end so air flows through will help lower humidity.

I lashed varnish over my builders planks as I store outside so they don't get damp and heavy. I just run paper towel over them if wet and been good for 10+ years with no rot.
B&Q sell.

The old way is to use block board as won't bow and finish edge with round quadrant which was used in shops for years as shelving. Could varnish or paint that to seal.

Reading your question im thinking cement board is what your after but how well that will work for shelving I can't say

Why not just put a cheap coat of oil based varnish on the MDF?

I've got chipboard shelves in my shed and they've been there for 20years.
They were originally a a wardrobe and came from the local recycling centre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back