Shelving problem???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I'm a complete newbie to DIY so I don't know why I didn't come on here earlier!

I'm putting up a couple of shelves for books (nothing too heavy, maybe 5-10kg) when I read online somewhere about how you shouldn't put anything against a hollow wall. I don't know much about these things but it seems to me as though this is exactly what I've gone and done.

Are my shelves likely to come crashing down in the next couple of weeks/days?

As I say, the load will be relatively light and I have around 10 screws for each shelf but this has got me quite worried!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
what size are the shelves depth and length??
how many brackets and what sort["L" shaped 'floating' rack??]

a few books is pretty much the heaviest load you can casualy place on a shelve if fully loaded

Sponsored Links
what size are the shelves depth and length??
how many brackets and what sort["L" shaped 'floating' rack??]

a few books is pretty much the heaviest load you can casualy place on a shelve if fully loaded
Shelves are 60cm long and 25cm wide. They are two completely seperate shelves. The fixings into the wall are hidden by the shelf itself as it slides onto the steel frame. The steel frame is 30cm long and has 5 pairs of screw holes along it.

I just tried posting a link but it didn't work. The specs are:

# This Floating Shelf is a stylish storage solution for all around the home.
# Dimensions in cm: (W)60, (D)25, (T)4.
# Weight: 7.5kg.
# Maximum weight supported: 30kg.
# Number of shelves: 1.
# Material: Particle board.
# Effects and finish: Mid oak effect.
# Also available in: Various colours and sizes.
# Includes: Brackets and screws for assembly of shelf.
# Fixings: Sold separately.

floating shelves are the worst as they have high leverage
you need to fix into solid wall with spacers or wood so all the load is on the solid wall spacers need to be 2mm bigger than the solid wall to back off bracket size
or cut out a space 5mm smaller than the bracket and no nails a baton on to the wall that will cover to the face off the plasterboard [same thickness as wall to plasterboard face]give or take 2mm and drill through the batton and plug into the wall

load it up and see you may have a couple off good fixings in the studs ??

You can see these shelves geing put up on diy telly, what they don't show are the 6inch screws through the wall. I only tried one of these and after 3 months changed it to one with brackets.

Yeah I went and bought a couple of brackets for each shelf, just to reinforce it.

Put my books on it earlier, seems solid :mrgreen:

They're not over my bed anyways so I won't get hurt if they come crashing down in the night. Might get scared though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back