Fixings for heavy shelving to plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have relatively heavy beech shelving which I'm aiming to put up in my Kitchen.

THe walls are plasterboard (dabbed) so bearing in mind the shelves are to house several heavy books, I'm wondering what the best fixing would be ?

Seen Plasplugs metal self-drive but these only allow for a 10mm depth of the item to be fixed.

CAn you recommend an appropriate fixing.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What is going to support the shelving? Brackets, metal (slotted) shelving strips, or some other way? Also, what is the plasterboard dabbed onto - brickwork, old plaster over bricks, or old plaster over studwork?

Initial guess, based on not a lot of information, would be long screws into rawl-plugged holes which get deep into the brickwork, if that's the case.

You need to be carefull using any strong fixing to the plasterboard. If it is brickwork behind the plasterboard use 6mm rawlbolts with long threads or 6mm studding. Cut spacers out of 6mm bore steel tube the length being the distance from the board face to the brickwork and fix your brackets through the spacers. This will set the rawlbolt in the brickwork and not put pressure on the plasterboard. Any rawlplug type fixing will crush the board.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back