Best Heavy Duty Wall Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm a DIY novice and have hit a brickwall with a project I've been working on recently. It's a set of 4 shelves for our cats, the shelves have a wooden top bolted to metal "L" brackets to attach to the wall. The problem is I'm unsure as to the best fixings to use as they need to be heavy duty and whatever solution I read about seems to have negative feedback. Our rental property is an old converted stable block and is very random with how it's been built.

The wall is plasterboard but appears to have different sized cavities behind it. In some places it's completely hollow with several inches of spaces once you're through the plasterboard, in others there's a small cavity between the plasterboard and brick and in some places it goes straight through into brick.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Sponsored Links
A series of tappings to the plasterboard should give a tell tale audio as to where the studs are. Fix with screws, the brackets to these and there should be no problems...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back