Spring toggles still the best option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if better alternatives have been invented over the last few years but when it comes to fixing heavy stuff to plasterboard cavity walls I've always used spring toggles. If there are and you don't have to make such a big hole then please let me know.

I will be putting up a heavy duty twin slot shelving system. Most of the brackets will be 470mm long to fit shelves up to 600mm in depth. The shelves will be used for general household stuff so nothing very heavy like an anvil.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
I don't know if better alternatives have been invented over the last few years but when it comes to fixing heavy stuff to plasterboard cavity walls I've always used spring toggles. If there are and you don't have to make such a big hole then please let me know.

The best way is a noggin fitted before the plasterboard goes into place, but failing that a batten spanning two or more timbers if anything slightly heavy is involved. Better than toggles, in that fixed items can be removed and refitted, is a fixing with wigs which splay out as the fixing is tightened via a long machine screw, with wings which remain on the face - they stay put, so the item can be removed and refitted as many times as you like. A small spanner was included to prevent the whole thing revolving, as it was deployed. A shorter screw can be used, once the threaded socket is in place.

For much lighter loads, you can buy a chunky plastic plug, like a chunkier, shallower version of a wallplug.

I'm a other adherent of the "umbrella" fixings that @Swwils recommends. I have three lots of Spur shelving at home into 12mm PB where most of the uprights are onto hollow wall anchors with only one row or so into timber studs. These are full wall height shelving units in two cases, about 8ft wide; one carries books, the other tools. I used to use these fixings a lot when I was doing shop fitting and rarely saw any failures (and when we did it was down to somebody of generous proportions attempting to climb the shelves)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice. I now remember using one of those umbrella fixings once before.

I found that even though the sleeve was the correct size for the plasterboard, the bolt itself wasn't long enough to reach the threaded end of the sleeve because the bracket was so thick. I had to buy longer M5 bolts!

They're certainly cleaner than spring toggles and seem the better choice, just need to make sure bolts will be long enough!

Thanks for all your help.

Should definitely accomdate the thickness of the twin slot profile with the included bolts. Make sure to get the setting tool, this will also help with this.

The the supplier we get ours from offers 3 or 4 different bolt lengths. Even so, it isn't difficult to find appropriate size countersunk head machine screws

Thanks for your advice. I now remember using one of those umbrella fixings once before.

I found that even though the sleeve was the correct size for the plasterboard, the bolt itself wasn't long enough to reach the threaded end of the sleeve because the bracket was so thick. I had to buy longer M5 bolts!

They're certainly cleaner than spring toggles and seem the better choice, just need to make sure bolts will be long enough!

Thanks for all your help.
I keep a stock of longer bolts which can be used to set the fixing as well as being useful for thicker materials. [You can also use a claw hammer to set.]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back