Best shelving options in an outbuilding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wanted to know what people think would be the best type of shelving to use in my situation. I'm using twin slot shelving brackets (600mm centres) in my outbuilding with the wall make-up being block, PIR, 25mm batten, 12mm ply. The 400-500mm shelving will be to house all sorts - paint tins, pantry items, odds and ends etc.

I need a cost-effective option for the shelves, something that won't warp, won't sag over 600mm spans of brackets and will be ok to use in humid environments as the humidity is between 55-80% in there depending on external weather and if I have the washing machine/dryer running. Am leaning towards MFC although not sure how it fares if the humidity goes up.

Also, unsure whether to just secure the uprights to the 25mm thick battens which themselves are secured to the block sandwiching the PIR, or to secure right back to the block? The latter will be harder as will need 140-160mm screws and it will be difficult to know if the plugs are fully in the block.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
18mm MFC would be good.

I had some outside as a dog run while my dog was a puppy - it lasted over a year in the rain etc.

my reservation is that smooth MFC might suffer condensation as the smooth surface allows water vapour to form easily - I clad my garage with it and had that problem.

18mm OSB3 or waterproof 22mm flooring chipboard will be good in the damp but a bit “rustic”

Scaffold boards are cheap , £12 for 13ft , sometimes you can get unbanded seconds , (saves removing metalwork .)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back