Shelving racks - heavy duty, high quality and really sturdy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been browsing Amazon, Argos, etc for some really high quality shelving racks. So something like this of similar dimensions:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Racking-Shelving-Workshop-150x70x30cm-Warranty/dp/B08VF2PMJW/

but in my experience such cheap shelving racks are pretty pathetic - they wobble and flex. I need to store some fairly heavy items on the shelves.

Can anyone recommend any high quality shelving racks, either self assembly or ready made? Either wood or metal or a combination of the two. I don't mind paying a bit extra for something that's really sturdy.

Sponsored Links
spur type shelving is excellent, but I don't know where you're fitting it or what the walls are made of.

is it a concrete floor?

Dexion-type racking is very good and often sold secondhand, stripped out of old warehouses and storerooms.
(ebay or industrial auctions)

floor-standing racking should be fixed to the wall at the top.

Last edited:
Yes, concrete floor and the walls are either stone or brick. However I should have said that I need a shelving unit as it's likely that I'll need to move it later this year or next, so I don't want to install anything 'permanent' that involves drilling, mounting on walls, etc. Thanks for the idea though.

if you don't fix your unit to the wall, it will wobble

and possibly fall over.

look at dexion on ebay.

you can buy it by the bay or by length

Sponsored Links
If you have a Costco near you they sometimes have some really sturdy shelving unit.
I think it's around £100 for a stainless steel 5 (or 6) shelf.

I'd look on Facebook Marketplace unless it's urgent, you can get some cracking deals off there and some good kit if you're a bit patient and check it pretty regularly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back