High quality custom shelving - DIY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a living room that's soon to be redecorated, we currently have an archway through to the dining room on the end wall. We're intending to brick it up (or stud wall, whatever), and once done the intention is to fill the entire wall with shelving.

I'm keen though - rather than buying lots of Ikea shelves and just putting them next to each other - to have a proper custom-made shelving system, that really does justice to the rest of the room (something like this).

The room is going to consist of sanded, good-condition, pine floorboards; a leather armchair (yet to be purchased, but thinking "gentleman's club"); some custom-made sofas (with eclectic patterns); mostly white painted walls; the "feature" wall will be a desaturated brown wallpaper with a brand new fireplace in it (limestone surround, black granite hearth).

So, the questions are ...

Firstly, what wood would you recommend? I really don't know where to start, apart from I know I like good quality natural wood. What type of wood would be functional and beautiful? Pine seems a bit boring (?), but I'm not sure whether Oak is either suitable or would go well with the rest of the room?

Secondly - and I'm more than half expecting people to tell me "don't be daft" - how viable is building such a thing myself? I'm almost a beginner at DIY, however I'm relatively good with my hands, am a perfectionist, and while it can't take years (!!), there's no specific time limit on this. Can I do this? How would I know what kind of joints to use, and how to attach to the walls? What sort of equipment would I need beyond plane, saw and sander? Would the advice from here be sufficient for me, do you think?

Finally, might anyone be able to give me ballpark estimates for the shelving job, both in terms of materials if I were to make it, and in terms of how much a cabinet-maker (i.e. a professional) might charge? The wall is 2.4m tall by 3.4m long.

Many thanks for any and all comments and advice! :)

Martin

Sponsored Links
It's doable, depends on what tools you have. A circular or table saw is desirable for cutting sheet material, a drill of course is a must have. You could get a timber supplier to cut sheets to size, but the accuracy of cut might not be good enough, depends where you go really.
Several ways to fix the shelves, easiest being brackets, but pin holes for adjustable shelving are handy to have.
For a quality finish consider veneered mdf. Some good examples at slhardwoods.co.uk

I would get a price off a cabinet maker or good joinery shop, unless youv'e got a packet to spend on solid hardwood @ about £50 a cu/ft at trade price and 20% waste at a minimum, you are looking at veneered MDF which will have to be lipped with wood ,As you go through the process IKEA will start to look better and better.

I would get a price off a cabinet maker or good joinery shop, unless youv'e got a packet to spend on solid hardwood @ about £50 a cu/ft at trade price and 20% waste at a minimum, you are looking at veneered MDF which will have to be lipped with wood ,As you go through the process IKEA will start to look better and better.

I agree will all end in tears. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thanks, guys. Some useful comments there. Sounds like I need to investigate costings and then seriously consider whether it's worth doing myself!

I think that amount of shelving in the image is ott. Be like living in a library and a lot of dusting.

i built 3 matching 3ft6 wide 6ft 6"h 2 tier units lower 8" top 5" deep
the plan was to build another 2 units another 80% to fit all there stuff in

i built unit one and unit 2 slightly different spacings unit 3 had nothing to fill it so turned from a book/dvd/vhs storage to general display unit the other 2 where cancelled

my advice is make in sections around 3 to4ft fill those sections plan the next area with what is left and plod on until finished
i would also suggest your first unit be a single separate unit for another area to make all your mistakes on ;)

You can do this. Basically 3 or 4 bookcases fitted together (3.4m ) in such a way so you dont see the carcass uprights. Your problem will be getting the cutting list correct and then done. The rest is a big jigsaw puzzle of which you know where all the pieces go !
Google *********

If you use veneered chipboard or conti get a router and a good cutter and use it to finish cut edges before lipping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back