Shield Press for Roman Shield

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Full disclosure: I don't really possess the "DIY" gene. I'm 34 and will (shamefully) admit that I didn't really get into anything DIY-related as a child...which is odd, since my Dad was pretty hands-on.

A second caveat of sorts: I'm American, but have lived in the UK for about 10 years now. So although I have not historically "done" DIY stuff around the house, I'm at least familiar with some American terminology. More on that in a moment.

My daughter, 8, has a school project to craft a 'Roman Shield'. This will be due in December, I think (we've not had the official project paperwork home yet). And whilst something as simple as painted cardboard will suffice for the project, I thought it would be really cool to do a proper wooden one. I've done some looking around online, and it looks like it might be the type of project that even I could manage with my limited ability.

If it *is* a project I'm to undertake, the first thing it seems I need is a 'shield press'. This is a frame with curved ribs over which one can bend a large slab of plywood so as to give the shield the curved shape (concave on the handle side, convex on the outer side).

I've seen a few DIY projects for shield presses, and the one I liked best utilises tie-down straps to clamp the plywood into place as it dries. See here: http://www.yeoldegaffers.com/project_shieldpress.asp

This is where my greenhorn DIY status starts to work against me. The pattern and instructions are simplistic enough that I think I can follow them and also ensure that my daughter is able to safely assist so that it is 'her' project. But it utilises American measurements (e.g., 2x4).

Whilst converting inches to millimetres is easy enough (1" = 2.54cm = 25.4 mm), it does not seem as though 'standard' plywood sizes in the UK equate to "standards" in the US.

Furthermore, it seems as though they can be *really* expensive! I was looking to build the press for maybe £20 or less, and then some additional cost for the shield materials.

Be honest: Is this a doable project? Or am I in over my head?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Although wood is supposed to be advertised in millimetres (thanks EU), it is still routinely sold and referred to in inches. A difference is, in Britain we quote the long side first, i.e. if you want a 'Murican 1x3 in Britain you ask for 3x1. If it's planed smooth (Planed Square Edge, PSE) then it will actually be a bit smaller than this. You can also ask for 1/4" plywood (which may be advertised as 6mm).

Seems a bit like overkill though... I wonder if two pieces of 4mm MDF sheet, dampened and formed over a water butt, before gluring together, would work?

Last edited:
Although wood is supposed to be advertised in millimetres (thanks EU), it is still routinely sold and referred to in inches. A difference is, in Britain we quote the long side first, i.e. if you want a 'Murican 3x1 in Britain you ask for 1x3. If it's planed smooth (Planed Square Edge, PSE) then it will actually be a bit smaller than this. You can also ask for 1/4" plywood (which may be advertised as 6mm).
Good to know, thanks.

Seems a bit like overkill though... I wonder if two pieces of 4mm MDF sheet, dampened and formed over a water butt, before gluring together, would work?
Intriguing and simplistic idea. Don't have a water butt though...

How about laying thin ply on two battens along each edge, dampen as above and stick a darn great big heavy tool box on the middle, leave to dry. Do two and glue together as suggested.
or just use hardboard which can be bent easily by hand, glued and clamped together at the edges.

Sponsored Links
Come to think of it, 4mm MDF is so bendy you could probably just drape it over a piece of wood or a line of bricks, spread glue on it and drape another piece over the top, and weigh it all down while it dries.

Have you given the final weight any thought?

She's only 8 & will surely want to wave it around at all the boys with Roman swords :)

Haha. Thanks for all the replies, folks. We got the paperwork home yesterday. We've got two weeks! My December date certainly was overly hopeful. We might end up going the cardboard route after all. But I am going to have a think/look around to see if there's something readily available I can use as a form. The water butt idea is a good one as it at least offers a uniform curve.

Make it out of hardboard. Let her draw the shape onto the board, and whichever of you is safer with sharp tools can cut it. Spray the back with water to make it damp and it will go soft enough to be moulded overnight and keep its shape when dry. Your daughter can paint it with poster paint or similar. It will be easier if you apply a white priming coat to the face first.

Add two straps for the holding arm.

Remember that the objective is not for you to make a shield.

If it was me I would cut it with a jigsaw or multicutter, but if you are not much of a diy'er and do not have them, look for a fine-toothed keyhole saw. You have to hold hardboard flat or it will flap about while cutting. There may be a better way. Do it outdoors because of the dust.

hardboard tends to go fuzzy on cut edges. medium sandpaper will reduce the fuzz.

Thanks. I don't have any power tools to speak of. But I've got a mate who has practically everything. Pretty sure he'll have a jigsaw but if not, I'll take a look to see what I can find in the way of a keyhole saw.

The plan I linked to above for curving the hardboard suggests sealing it. I assume this will also help the edges. What sort of sealant should I be seeking?

Hi folks. I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who replied again. My daughter turned in her shield the week before last and although we've not yet had feedback from school with regards to the project, she really enjoyed it. She was able to get hands-on with pretty much all aspects, apart from the saw and the hobby knife. I'll try to add an image below...

Edit: Okay, image not working. So here's a link to the image. https://goo.gl/photos/e9MAKc5N9E8ePFBx5

Last edited:
Whoops. Sorry about that. Try now. I've corrected the link and tested it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back