Shifting existing set in from boundary wall to Party line. Why would I want to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so bit of an odd one but i'll try and cover all the pertinent points.

Current house is has a layout equal to a really bad game of tetris!

See here

Untitled by chunkytfg, on Flickr

planning permission was applied for this

(please excuse the dreadful picture but it's the best I have to hand while I post this

house plan by chunkytfg, on Flickr

The original extension(s) are the family room, bedroom, conservatory and the weird corridor between the kitchen and bedroom.

The extension is set in from the boundrey line on the right by the family room by about 200mm with the boundry wall being a 9" wide 2 brick deep wall approx 6 feet tall. The boundrey line from the end of the wall turns to the left encroaching on our garden hence the extension replacing the conservatory is angled inwards slghtly.

The original extension was built in the 90's with a flat felt roof.

Our plans if you can make them out are to open it right out making the family room, the bedroom an the corridor all one room with the conservatory being knocked down an the corner filled in with matching brick extension. It then becomes a 6.5m wide by 5.5m deep kitchen/dining room.

The current kitchen will be extended forward to match the line at the back of the house and the space turned into a gym

The roof will be being converted from a cold to a warm roof along with the addition of 6 roof lights, 4 in the kitchen and 2 in the gym.

Now here comes the question.

Our builder thinks the best way to do it is to knock down the wall thats by the boundary wall, take down the boundary wall also and with a PWA create a party wall all the way along the boundary. When questioned I wasnt really abe to work out why exactly he thought this was a better idea than just extending whats already there?

He seemed to think that no matter how we built it we would need a PWA anyway even if the wall was set in from the boundary.

Now I could be wrong but if the wall stays as it is currently and we just extend out from where where the wall currently finishes we dont need one as the the wall wont be on the boundary, it wont be closer than 3 metres from the adjacent house and the footings I would doubt would be deeper than the actual house footings themselves.

If we did as he suggested then yes we would need one as learly we are making a PW t stick our roof on.

However ignoring the do I need a PWA or not aspect, can anyone think of a reason we would want to go through the hassle of taking down that wall and building an identical one about 300mm further out?

We would still have the kink in the wall due to the boundary shape, the extra 300mm of space along that wall is really not alot of help to us as we rattle round the house as it is.

It's got us completely perplexed and due to our connection to the builder its quite hard to just say no, do it our way!

Sponsored Links
The builder builds it as you want it not as he wants it so regardless of his connection to you (family member) tell him

I don't understand the kink in your plans , why do you need it when the conversatory doesn't have this kink as it stands now

The builder builds it as you want it not as he wants it so regardless of his connection to you (family member) tell him

well yes we know you’re right but until we get to sit down with him and discuss his reasoning behind the want to move the wall we wanted to see if someone else could think of a plausible reason why.

I don't understand the kink in your plans , why do you need it when the conversatory doesn't have this kink as it stands now

the first layout drawing isn’t totally accurate and doesn’t show the step in properly hence making it look like it is an unnecessary kink.[/QUOTE]

Sponsored Links
Concern over depth of footings for conservatory?

The bit that replaces the conservatory sits on a different footprint so I’d always assumed whatever it currently sits on would be dug up and replaced anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back