Shims for handrail brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing some interclamp (like kee klamp) handrail to a line of wooden posts, with the posts being slightly out of line.
It's unnoticable if you look at the posts, but once you add the handrail it sticks out as being not straight.
They need to be adjusted +/- a few mm here and there, 10mm is about the thickest shim I would need. I don't trust the longevity of timber outside, being so thin.

http://www.interclamp.com/en/interclamp/745

Does anyone know of a supplier of spacers or shims, they'd ideally be circular, the same size as the backplate, which works out at about 82mm.

I was thinking of making my own using mild steel sheet and a tank cutter, but I'm not sure what thickness of steel these are able to cut. Also, these are shaped to cut a clean hole, whereas I require a clean disc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monument-Straight-Shank-Tank-Cutter/dp/B0001P0G62

Another thought is to cut some spacer tubes for the screws, but this might increase the chance of the screw shearing off, plus it will be tricky to fill without it falling out over time.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid its asking too much for that sort of cutter to cut mild steel of any thickness, never mind 10mm.
Is there any mileage using acrylic or other plastic discs? There wouldn't be a rust problem....
John :)

Do you have to shim it out or could you recess it into the wooden posts? Something like a forsner bit or your tank cutter or even a small router should do the job.

Sponsored Links
John. Well I wasn't planning on cutting 10mm, rather several discs of 1.5 - 2mm ish, and stack them up.
The plastic option could work, but it might stand out too much for being a different material. I'll look into it though.

LL: Yes I will have to recess one of the brackets slightly, no forstner that size but might palm router it.

Fred: Useful link, ta! Going into bookmarks for future ref, but can't wait around for delivery plus postage will bump up price and make it uneconomical. Sizes are a bit out too.

I'm gonna take a punt on an erbauer 86mm holesaw and see if that gives me 82mm, under a fiver so worth a pop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back