Shingles leaking question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I would really appreciate some shingles help..

I have a traditional Edwardian London house where there is a leak above bay window on 1st floor. I digged in the angled attic above (roof conversion on 2nd floor with tiny space towards roof/wall). I found that the shingles-clad roof lays on sarking boards (no membrane) and that it seems to leak a little bit in at least 2 places. Still the distance from the actual leak in roof seems far to the spot in roof in below 1st floor; is that normal?
Also, if I try to fix myself should I just try to diy change a few shingles, or should I change all of them and put in underlay of some sorts? Also above where the bay window from the 1st floor there is a zink roof that seems to collect water towards inner edge; is that a problem per say? Thanks a bunch for any help! Rgds, Henrik

Sponsored Links
Re leak v drip placement, yea that's all to normal.
I wouldn't go to the extent of re-roofing and shingles have laid without a membrane for thousands of years (the Romans) Try fixing/replacing yourself, if you have the access and at the same time take stock of the general condition of the shingles (they should not look like new of course) for future planed works...pinenot

Are you talking about cedar wood shingles?

As a rule, i'd discourage DIY'ers from going on a pitched roof - if, indeed, you do have old cedar shingles, then they are possibly slimy and deadly underfoot.

A few pics of the roofs in question would really help. Plus a pic from below the "sarking boards"

Perhaps i misunderstand, but you seem to be talking about three separate roofs, a main roof, a bay roof, and a zinc roof - or have i got it wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back