shiny seams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished a papering job for friend of a friend.All well till today when called for payment.With the daylight on the walls at a certain angle all of the seams look shiny.
I have been decorating for a few years and never had this problem before.I don't think it is paste as I wiped over after every drop.When I wiped over I didn't use excessive pressure on the sponge.Any idea's why it is shiny and more importantly any idea's of how to remedy it.
Laura Ashley paper.....washable

cheers Elk(newbie)

Sponsored Links
Did you use a seam roller on them?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you havnt done anything wrong then..have you tried wiping the same sponge and water down a seperate of the paper?..if the sponge has caused the damage it will mark the paper wherever you have used it.

Did you sponge the points straight away pr ;eave them till the end?..it culd be dry paste

Failing that...faulty paper, caused when the rollers are misaligned during production.

Hnag another couple of bits...but dont touch the joints whatsoever..other then when your tapping the seams togther

Where the seams were wiped, it is the diluted paste has sealed the paper. It does look awful and is annoying.

Personally i would use a good cotton cloth in hot water and not a sponge and rinse out every drop of paste on each length of paper. It will only be dilute paste coming out of the edges.

Yep...

And thats got me thinking, if it was a new sponge they sometimes have a yellowy oily dye come out of them

Also, when pasting, a small amount of paste, never matter how small, does get onto the surface of the covering when pasting near the edges, which when wiped, even with a damp clot/sponge, gets diluted and spreads.
What we have suggested are preventions. The cure, there does not seem to be one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back