wallpaper seams on very dark papers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, i do a lot of painting and decorating with good results but i'm having a problem with very dark patterned papers that i cant overcome myself and need advice. lining papers, anaglyptas, light coloured flat papers all no prob but the past twice ,once with a homebase dark brown paper and with a laura ashley isodore charcole paper i am getting the faintest of white lines showing at each seam(so little that you wouldnt even see the seam on a lighter coloured paper).the house is only 5 yr old so walls like new,previously painted in emulsioned i used a seam roller didnt over wipe the seams,pasted one length at a time to make sure i didnt over soak the paper but still these lines. its not like a gap at the seams its like a white hair only showing up when the light hits it and i know a coloured pencil would help some but im looking for how to avoid it at all. ps i didnt line the walls as the surfaces were good and not porous.any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Some of the old school decorators that I know use coloured crayons that you can get from "real" decorators merchants- you wont find them in the DIY sheds

I once had the same problem with metallic gold paper. The seem was only visible for about one hour each day as the sun moved. I had to rehang the whole wall, soaking the paper for half of the time.

do you think lining paper would have helped by absorbing some of the paste quicker?it was only a 3 minute soak time on the label and with the wall having been emulsioned already(sealed) i wondered if it was still soaking on the wall?

Sponsored Links
Not sure

I normally line as a matter of course.

Some papers are just horrible to work with!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back