Seams opening up after papering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a wall painted blue, I want to paper using a paper that is yellow.

I'm worried that if I don't get the paper fitted perfectly, or if the seams shrink slightly you will see the blue down the seams.

I'm sure I have read somewhere that you should work out where your paper will meet and paint lines down the wall (the same colour as the proposed paper (yellow paint in my case). So if the paper shrinks the wall behind won't show through.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Well it does'nt really matter what colour your walls are it wont look very tidy, give the walls a light sanding and apply a coat of thinned paste before you hang your paper. this will help you to get those seams together.

Dec

Yes you could well benefit from that, When some wallpapers are pasted some can tend to be problematic with regard to the soaking times that are recomended, these should be used as a guide only and should'nt be classed as perfect.

So a simple test should be perfomed before you start, simply cut off approx 300mm off the roll and paste and fold as you would for a full drop, now check the measurement and keep checking it at every 2 minutes, untill the paper retains a constant measure, that will then be your desired soaking time.

It is often the reason for the seams to open up or stretch and overlap, leaving the paperhanger scratching his head. This is not the case with all wallcoverings yet the threat still exists, so following that simple test takes away the chance factor.

Dec

Sponsored Links
I agree a must for this wallpaper, don't forget that test it can oftee the difference between success and failiure.

Good luck

Dec

Once I have lined the walls can I hang the paper straight away or do I have to wait for a day or two?

Also, do I need to 'size' the lining paper before I hang the Sanderson top paper?

Many thanks.

Firstly you will need to allow the lineing paper to fully dry before you hang your finish paper, should you size over lineing paper or should you not? Well some do and others don't, myself I don't.

Lineing paper is formulated to accept both paint and wallpaper and in my opinion applying a size before papering could upset it's natural balance.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back