Wallpaper seams lifting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into my house, stripped the old wallpaper, PVA bonded the walls, then put up lining paper, than put up lining paper again and painted that. The seams of the paper though are lifted a bit, so they walls don't have a perfect finish, despite taking care when pasting. What causes this and how do I get round this next time I paper?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I am not a P+D but was once told this was due to the paste and paint both being water based.

When I paper now I use border/seam adhesive on the edges. I put the paper on, get it right then peel back the edges for about 1/2" or so, then use the above.

Don't know the technical reason why, but it works! A seam roller is OK too, on none embossed paper.

Another thing that can cause this is over stretching the paper when you apply it. As it dries, it shrinks a little and pulls the edges away. This is often the by product of not allowing the paper to stand after application of the paste.

You put the paper on the wall, it absorbs some of the moisture from the paste (therefore expanding and bubbles up), you go at it trying to remove the resultant bubbles and in doing so, stretch the paper. As it dries, the paper springs back and the edges pop up.

I always use an assembly line type of setup, paste one drop, then paste the next, and then put up the first, paste a third, put up the second, etc.. That way, the piece you're putting on the wall has had time to absorb the moisture from the paste. No bubbling up, so no overzealous stretching of the paper to get them out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back