Shires close coupled toilet - strange doughnut ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a leak in the cold water inlet pipe a month and a half ago. Insurance dragged their heels and I finally gave up and decided to do it myself. Bath is in nice, solid and sealed. Sink is in with new taps. Toilet was last to go in but its proving to be a nightmare.

Firstly replaced the innards with a flowmaster flap trap syphon thingy after finding the old syphon had lots of "blue" stuff in it (thanks to the wife), put a new flowmaster inlet in. New overflow (just to be on the safe side), plumbed it all in, checked for leaks and woohoo - everything was watertight.

Then I flushed the loo ............

Thankfully I had a roll of kitchen towel handy as it urinated out the back of the newly fitted doughnut seal.

Now when I took the cistern off, there were two doughnut seals fitted (badly) so I have a feeling when the house was built 16 years ago someone else had a similar problem. They had perished and were rather squished. The pan hole where the doughnut fits in is rather "not round" and the three brand new doughnuts I've got would fit but the gap between the back of the pan to cistern is much larger than the gap between the front of pan to cistern (all 3 toilets in the house, all Shires are the same). Walls are reasonably true and floor is reasonably true.

I tried the previous botch of using 2 doughnuts and while it is almost working, if you do a long flush, you get a squirt of water down the wingnuts.

On top of that, the water inlet to filler now has a very minor weep. I've tried a new fibre washer (and soaking it first) but the problem persists and I don't want to tighten up the nut any more than it is (hand tight then 1/4 turn and a little bit after noticing the weep).

Anyone know if a Shires bog manufactured in 1994 needs a special doughnut ? I'll probably go flexipipe to inlet with a rubber washer as I've had no problems with these in the past although the existing cold feed plumbing is going to be an absolute nightmare to try and get a 300mm pipe onto.

Dom[/u]

Sponsored Links
Just as a follow up, I couldn't find anywhere with a donut for the Shires cistern so I bit the bullet and decided to phone Shires themselves.

Got bounced back to reception a couple of times then got through to someone who was really helpful but told me a standard donut should fit. After explaining the problem, I stuck the pictures of the cistern and pan up on t'internet and sent him an email with a link.

Got an email back from him the next day saying they think they had found a part that would do the job. Day after that it turned up in the post :D

Stuck it on this morning and all seemed well until the 4th flush when it started piddling out of the wing nuts. I stripped it all down again and built it back up with a "small" amount of Plumb Mait stuff ;)

Must be on its 10th flush now with no leaks at all :D

Just for reference, if you have a 14 year old Shires bog, you need a large foam washer (slightly larger than the B&Q/Screwfix donuts) with the inner diameter the same as the nut on the syphon. Its about 3/4" thick.

until the plumbers mait squeezes out from between the cistern, this will happen eventually

Sponsored Links
Its been applied in places where it can't squeeze out ;)

Had a good think about where I was putting it so it should last until the toilet needs dismantling again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back