shock off radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi hope I can get some advice about this.
I have been getting shocks when I touch the central heating system radiators, I can compare it to having a shock from the lighting system. It doesn't happen all the time. For example, during the day when very little electricity is being used. The shocks have come in the evening when everything is used, lights, ring circuit, central heating etc.
Our house was rewired approx 20 years ago, from and including the consumer unit. I'm not sure what the system is i.e. TN-C-S, or TN-S or TT. What I believe is the earthing was via the piping system through the mains supply. Over time the supply has been changed from copper to plastic, from and including the supply mains under the road into the house.
Could this be the earthing, or lack of it, and how do I identify which earthing system we have.

Sponsored Links
have a look/take a picture of your meter and fuse box, where does the earth cable go?

I have been getting shocks when I touch the central heating system radiators, I can compare it to having a shock from the lighting system.
I dont know which part of this sentence I find more disturbing. :eek: And a shock from the "lighting system" will be the same as a shock from any other part of your electrical installation that works at 230V~50Hz

Look here for info on earthing methods. Earthing via water pipes has not been allowed since the early 70's IIRC (14th?).

1. Do you mean static electrical shocks?
2. Are you referring to bonding?

Sponsored Links
Yup, I'm a sad git. Anyone else care to join me in my sadgitism?

If there's enough interest, we can form a sad git's club.

For those who are very sad and want to know the reg:

D.34 (ii)

..........Neither gas nor water pipes, separately or jointly, shall be used as the sole earth electrode of the installation.

:rolleyes: Hi Thanks for the feedback, sorry, been away for a few days, and no computers.
I dont know which part of this sentence I find more disturbing. And a shock from the "lighting system"
Just using an example. Kind of more than a static shock.
I can't see any earth cable at the meter or fuse box. Maybe buried behind. Can't see any earth coming in from external to the property. Do you think we will need a copper rod and could this be a TT system. I saw an old post saying that 'if a TT system is not correctly commissioned it can be very dangerous'.

If you are concerned about a problem of this magnitude don't use an internet forum - seek the services of a competant Electrician immediately for the safety of yourself and your family !

Photo is a problem so thanks to you both. ricicle ! that's the next step then. Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back