Shocked at maintenance of our rendered house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've got an end of terrace house which is 1940's built. It's a solid constuction and we're struggling to fight damp on the inside.

The paint is peeling of the render (it's white and not been painted for a while). We had a guy come to look round at the weekend and he his saying it'll be in the region of £8k to do the following:

rake out the cracks
cover with a sand, cement with sealent
paint top to bottom

all of this in 6weeks to inlcude scaffolding round the whole place.

We've had a second guy come round today and he says a similar thing but can do the following for £3,000 plus the cost of paint on top (whatever that comes to).

knock out the cracks
use GRC Render to fill up the holes
cover the whole house using the GRC render
Paint from top to bottom

all of this he can work from ladders except for the side of the house. The job will take him 2 weeks he says.

Does this sound like it'll sort out the problems? Will using the product mentioned by the second guy work?

Just wanted your opinions and thougts on the job.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i dont like the sound of that one bit m8 iv never seen some one render of a ladder were will he lean it up agenst so not to leave the leg marks
plus id think that e will hake off all the render and start agen not try to go over the old
plus paint on to id never do a job like that off ladder
use a scaff or ally tower id say 5k hake off old sort out cracks and render with webber render
no need to paint a its pre coloured all new upvc beads too

think he will do the job and get his running shoes on

Cheers

So the product you're talking about is webber? What does that do?

We says he's worked for a company that are going out of business because they are so expensive..... but he's been doing it for 12 years. He says ALL the render doesn't need to come off just the blown bits and they he'll skin over with the GRC render product - no idea what this is? Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

Yeah that's what I thought.... it's VERY big very tall end of terrace house but I though £8k and 6 weeks of work was bit of a joke?!?!

Are both the products mentioned above good products? Both of them will 'seal' the render and therefore protect the property pretty well?

Can you see any problems with the cheaper guy? He didn't even seem daunted or bothered about using a ladder to do the job.

Thanks

Thanks guys.

Yeah that's what I thought.... it's VERY big very tall end of terrace house but I though £8k and 6 weeks of work was bit of a joke?!?!

Are both the products mentioned above good products? Both of them will 'seal' the render and therefore protect the property pretty well?

Can you see any problems with the cheaper guy? He didn't even seem daunted or bothered about using a ladder to do the job.

Thanks
tbh i havent any experience with the grc render so i cant comment on it maybe one of the other here have, but i would give the first spread a wide birth after the 6 week remark

its a VERY tall building and a large area?? off a ladder?? all im saying is accident waiting to happen you could end up with a wall full of ladder holes and half finished cos thiers a dead plasterer on your drive where hes fallen off the ladder.
in my opinion you cnt really render to a high standard off a ladder whats he goin to do about loading his hawk up and down all day i think not that will take ages.
mabey give plstring a PM and see if he can fit you in and have a chat with him about it he loves a job or two (not that i dont haha)
or alternativley have a more indepth chat with plasterer number 2 and find out exactly how he plans on getting over the whole dieing and being slow issue.
let us know how it goes mate
JRP

Thanks guys.

I hear what you're saying... the logistics of what the 2nd guy is saying sound a tall order!!

What do people think to his suggested solution, products and price?

Thanks

id go with webber m8 trust me its the best on the market i think used it in the past a lot and love it never had a call back on it

not to sure bout the price or solution without seeing it but i would be tempted with the webber coloured render less maintenance and in the right hands looks pukka at the end of the job not that grc is not good but ive used webber before and loved the stuff

The LIME content in these products creates a breathable finish, though the existing render is the issue and going over it with more sand and cement and then oaint will not cure internal damp. The old stuff has gotta come off and without a tower or scaffold the job would take 6 weeks. I would estimate 2 weeks for spray applied finish. (with scaffold) All 3 systems (Webber, K Rend, Decopierre) offer a brick finish/look to get away from the 'render' look and back to terrace/victorian finish, and all have the lime base. . Not all spreads can use these products as the lime does change the work time and it burns like a bugg*r. Result is a self coloured, breathable, flexible NON-maintenance finish with a long term lifespan. Worth investing in :)

As its victorian, how do you feel about a complete removal of the cementitious render which in itself will always crack on a lime mortor brick bed structure. A haired lime render whether it be a slaked lime render or a hydraulic lime render will allow sufficiant movement with the building, allow the building to breath and depending on the sand sourced will give a beutiful rich colour without the painting and constant painting. Webber is an ok product but discolours after time and most contactors offer the scaped finish which attracts algie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back