Short power lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put a zanussi washing machine in yesterday. The power lead was ridiculously short, leaving a tiny gap to reach through between the machine and work top. No way could i reach so i ended up extending the lead. I can't believe proffesional installers.have to do that so any tips? All i could think of would be some kind of grabber on a pole to plug the lead in.

Sponsored Links
Providing the lead to the appliance is long enough to reach the socket out, when appliance is installed in housing. If access is not great and awkward, you can tie some rope/string to the plug and pull through.

I hope you extended the flex using safe connectors that are enclosed to prevent electrocution?

I didn't really understand your reply. It was plugging the washer in that I couldn't manage, not feeding the lead through.
Yes I got reemed by B&Q to buy 5metres of the correct cable (1.5mm 3 core) and an enclosed 3 teminal 13A connector.
Cheers anyway.

OKay, I apologise your post was a little misleading.

So you actually have a socket directly behind the machine? (I thought you was trying to pull the plug up through a hole leading to a socket)

Normally the leads of appliances are long enough to reach.
My experience of B&Q staff is they are not reliable or qualified to offer you advice on cable sizing and safe connection.

What did they actually recommend/sell you?

Sponsored Links
I'm ok with the electrical side prentice. Yes the socket was directly behind the machine so that was my problem. No access from either side, so had to plug in from the front, reaching over. All ok now with extended lead. Just annoyed that b&q don't sell by the metre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back