Fridge/Freezer power cord too short.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My fridge/freezer died on Saturday. Bought a new one and tried installing today, but the power cord is too short.

Thought I could solve this issue as the socket is one of those wall mounted ones, not inset in the wall. Thought it was coming from the socket near it, but nope, it's going to it, so can't move it.

Only options I can see are using an extension lead or getting someone in. The manual says no extension lead is to be used but I've read a few sites where people have said it's OK as long as it's short.

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
is there no chance off swapping over sockets with another appliance nearby ??

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

Not really. It's a fitted kitchen so I'd have to cut through two panels to get the plug to the nearest socket. And that's the spur from the one the old fridge was plugged in to so I'm not sure how safe that would be anyway?

I've attached a few pictures for reference.

IMG_20190501_173647.jpg IMG_20190501_173657.jpg IMG_20190501_173647.jpg

there is zero danger using a different socket regardless off route chosen a socket in the same circuit is exactly as safe even iff a bit more difficult to unplug
just be sure to label any flexes machines or plugs with labels referring to what they are connected too

Sponsored Links
There is no reason why you should not use an extension lead either.

Resite the socket lower down and run cable into the top of the surface box. looks like that should give you an extra foot on the length .

Thanks to you all for replying. I ended up cutting through the cabinet. Didn't want to void the warranty by using an extension; you know how picky companies are!

All the best,
Ex

They would not know if an extension was used, nor should it have any effect on any warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back