Zanussi ZI918/8K Fridge Freezer too cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Zanussi ZI918/8K Fridge-Freezer about 10 years old. The problem is that it seems to be running continuously and too cold in fridge and freezer both building up ice along the back wall.

Spoke to one of Engineers who suggested it is the thermostat which must have gone. I have now replaced the thermostat with genuine Zanussi one for this fridge-freezer but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. The new thermostat is set to around 2 and a half.

The freezer is very cold and the fridge is very cold too building ice on the back wall. I would have expected the compressor to be switched off every few hours but it doesn't seem to be the case. I have also got high electricity bill for last quarter and thinking the fridge might be the culprit (as everything else is energy saving stuff in the house).

Looking forward to your help guys. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure? Can it be really low on gas if its still making the fridge and freezer really cold (infact extra cold) and that too in quick time?

Yes I'm sure. The gas will make it colder and the rear wall of the fridge could well be spongy, it won't last much longer it will just defrost and that's it.

Sponsored Links
Ok is this a cheap fix or expensive? Basically is it worth getting it fixed looking at the cost / age of the appliance?

100 plus. Not worth it as its 10 years old.

And is there any workaround or way to keep using it for a while till I get the new one?

I don't want it to keep running all the time and costing me money plus building all that ice...

No. Just use it till it goes. It will cost leccy thou.

Try turning it down that might help and shut the comp off

Sorry I am not being clear here. I meant is there a way we can physically adjust the thermostat device itself so it cuts off and on the compressor at slightly higher temp?

Again checked this morning and the fridge and freezer are really really cold. Just thinking how can it be so cold if the gas is on the low. Sorry to be asking again, but are u sure this is not a thermostat or evaporator or where they meet fault?

Is there any easy way of accessing the evaporator to see what's happening?

No way of check that. It's defo low on gas you had the stat changed. It may last weeks or days.

Ok thanks mate... lets hope for the best then!

On another note, do you know how big a job is it to get the integrated fridge freezer replaced i.e. taking the old one out and putting the new one in.

It's a pain its integrated else I would have simply ordered a new one and put it there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back