LG Fridge Freezer tripping fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought an LG American style fridge freezer. It was working when we picked it up. Got it home and it’s tripping the fuse box. I removed the light cover in the fridge and removed the temp sensor, it now doesn’t trip the fuse anymore but I imagine the fridge won’t work now.

could this simply be the sensor wiring shorting out or perhaps as I’ve read elsewhere it’s the defrost heating element?

Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
What exactly is tripping in your"fuse box", is it an MCB or an RCD ( does every thing in the house go off or just one circuit )?

Hi, it’s an RCD that trips. The fridge now seems to trip every 5 hours or so when it’s plugged in. I’ve got both parts on the way a temp sensor for the fridge and the defrost element.

Update: I installed the new fridge temp sensor today, turned the unit on and it didn’t trip the fuse... then I opened the fridge door and the wire actually blew out of the sensor with a bang! It didn’t trip the RCD just the sockets MCB.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the sensor has been supplied with the incorrect voltage. Possibly a control board fault, but just guessing & it needs testing before you throw any more parts at it.

Update 2: I received the new heating element yesterday, stripped down the back of the freezer only to find they had sent me the wrong part.. anyhow, I disconnected and removed the old element, reinstalled the original fridge temp sensor and everything fired up fine with all the settings restored. I’ll replace the heating element as soon as the New one arrives. At least we have a working fridge and freezer now although without anti frost for a few days..

So why are you spending money fault finding rather than rejecting it on the dealer?

it was bought second hand for quite cheap from a cafe that was closing down so don’t mind spending a little bit on it. Seems I’ve found the issue now anyhow so all should be well once the new element is installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back