Should a Fiesta need new front brake pads after 12k miles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My OH has a 99 fiesta currently with 44k miles on the clock. He had the brake pads and discs replaced in Jul 2009. Since then he has done about 12,000 miles - mainly city driving.
It was done at a garage we haven't used before who offered him a good price - so I doubt they would be the finest quality pads...

Yesterday afternoon the front brakes started grinding ...is it likely that he would need new pads so soon?

To me it seems like it is slow to brake (but my car has super sharp brakes - when I first got it I nearly went through the windscreen a few times!) so maybe they aren't too bad...
I panicked and left it outside our reliable but very expensive local garage....

Not sure what to do now...:?:
Is it likely to be safe to drive?

If the pads have gone too soon - it is approx 5 miles to the garage who fitted them...take it there and give them an ear bashing?
...(can't see us getting the money back but poss could get them to replace them for free...)

otherwise somewhere like Kwik fit (similar distance) who will be much cheaper (than local garage) for something like this ...

or would it be better not to drive anywhere and to let the local garage sort them and also confirm this is the problem (I trust them completely)
And then (if it turns out the pads weren't replaced etc) complain and then if nec go through trading standards etc...

Sponsored Links
My first thoughts would be that either someone is driving around with their foot on the brake or more likely you have a siezed/sticking caliper. Either way, it needs to be examined.
If you can hear grinding, you shouldn't really be driving it. But if you must, take your time and be careful on the way to the garage.

He did 20 k of the 30k on the original pads in similar conditions - so it can't be just his driving technique...

Would it be safe to drive 5 miles or would it be better to leave it at the local garage?

I would have a go at DIY (I've read it is pretty simple) but suspect it might take me a while and we have to park on the main road (no drive/garage)...(plus it is his bloody car!!!)

Just drive carefully to your local garage and there'll be no harm done.
Expect new discs to be needed now, with new pads plus a fluid change and this should keep you going for lots more miles.
If the pads were worn out after 12k miles they must have been made from plasticene - unless you are Sebastien Loeb in disguise :p
John :)

Sponsored Links
Local garage sorting it out - one of the calipers had stuck on - disc is wrecked and so it is a new set of discs and pads...
Apparently no problems with the ones that are on - the good one still had lots of wear left in it...
Thanks for the advice...

Back