Should a screw always be longer than the plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
18B21790-191A-4195-A905-8B0AFB8001D6.png

So I have used the plug in the above picture on plasterboard and used a 4mm diameter screw, as recommended, which is 30mm in length.

I have used this plug and screw to attach a plastic carrier bag holder to the wall.

However, I have had to leave some of the screw unscrewed from the plug so that the carrier bag holder has something to hook onto.

The problem is that the plug seems loose in the wall. Now I am starting to think it’s because I did not use a long enough screw especially as I did not screw it all the way in.

What’s your thoughts on this? Would a longer screw solve the issue? Thanks

Sponsored Links
View attachment 129137
So I have used the plug in the above picture on plasterboard and used a 4mm diameter screw, as recommended, which is 30mm in length.

I have used this plug and screw to attach a plastic carrier bag holder to the wall.

However, I have had to leave some of the screw unscrewed from the plug so that the carrier bag holder has something to hook onto.

The problem is that the plug seems loose in the wall. Now I am starting to think it’s because I did not use a long enough screw especially as I did not screw it all the way in.

What’s your thoughts on this? Would a longer screw solve the issue? Thanks

The screws to be tight up for the plug to expand in the hole.

Sponsored Links
The problem you've got, is that yes, the screw needs to be longer than the plug, or it won't grip behind the plasterboard. The cup hook won't work in the plasterboard plug, and you'd be better off finding a hook that you can screw into the plug with a longer screw.

Sorry what?

Plugs like that are designed to mechanically fix against the back of the plasterboard in the void, not expand within the diameter of the hole so the screw has to be completely bottomed out (screw provided will be the right length to bottom the plug out).

Not like masonry wall plugs that expand outwards to achieve a friction fix.

If the screw isn't long enough or the screw isn't pinched up, the plug won't work and you should look at other types.

These fixings lock themselves without the screw needing to be inserted.

http://www.gripitfixings.co.uk/gripit-plasterboard-fixing/

They are more expensive than the ones recommended by Foxhole though but you aren't limited to one screw/fixing/load bearing size.

I have used them to wall mount large TVs that would have been to heavy for the easy drive fixings. The downside however is that you need to drill a larger diameter hole.

The problem you've got, is that yes, the screw needs to be longer than the plug, or it won't grip behind the plasterboard. The cup hook won't work in the plasterboard plug, and you'd be better off finding a hook that you can screw into the plug with a longer screw.
The cup hook will work providing you find one which has a long enough screw.........

Grip Its are extremely expensive - on shop fits I use "umbrellas" (or more properly Rawlplug Intersets, but Fischer and Spit also do them), like these:

Rawlplug hollow wall anchior 001_01.jpg

Which ideally should be inserted using a setting tool:

Rawlplug AT-88 setting tool 001_01.png

If you are doing any volume of fixings into PB these outperform Grip Its at a fraction of the price per unit. I doubt you'll find many tradesmen using Grip Its. Not too keen on Redi Drivas like the ones foxhole proffers - seen them go wrong far too often

Last edited by a moderator:
you can get vine eyes and screw hooks in gardening places and on ebay, with a longer shaft, which would be fine for your bag holder.

For heavy weights, I think it is preferable to use something that goes into the studs, or long enough to screw into the wall behind, although many people seem happy to put kitchen cabinets on plasterboard.

A lot of the info above ignores that what you are trying to hang has to have screws of a specific size so most suggestions won’t work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back