Should a shed roof be...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Quick question and probably an easy one for you guys to answer.
I've got a new shed in my back garden and I've only recently noticed that the roof is not fixed down to the rafters at all as far as I can see. I can push the roof up a bit in the middle above all three rafters so it is definitely not fixed to them.
On further inspection it appears also that the roof is only fixed down to the shed in maybe 5 or 6 places in total. In one section along the eaves I can push the roof up around 1" and there is definitely no fixing in that section for around 9 feet and similar on the other side. The 3 corners feel solid as in I can't lift them (although they are a tight fit) but 1 corner of the roof I can lift a bit so no fixing?
It's an apex shed and is around 18' x 8'. It has torch on felt on the roof and is tongue + groove.

My question is, is this normal to not put many fixings in so that the roof has movement when it gets hot or could it potentially blow off in a gale?

I've tried to speak to the company a few times and someone keeps telling me they will get back to me but so far nothing.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The problem with that is it has a torch on roof so the roof needed to be properly fixed down before they did the torch on.
I can screw upwards myself through the rafter into the roof batons (not ideal but would help) but I can't screw in at the eaves as there is nothing decent to fix into.

It should obviously all be fixed together adequately so you can't push things apart. Put your concerns in writing to the shed company and keep on at them. Hope they fix it.

Sponsored Links
Make some timber wedges and use these to lift the ply, then use expanding polymer wood glue to stick the roof material to the rafter. Then pull the wedges out.

Then send the shed company an invoice with a letter.

Cheers guys, thanks for the advice.

So just to be clear, is the general consensus that a shed roof should be fixed down all around and into the rafters? I'm guessing they will pretend they did it like that to allow for the roof to expand/contract etc.

It should be solid not flimsy. Ask the chief to come and inspect your shed or you will make a you tube video and post it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back