Should cavity wall insulation be done if you have Finlock Gu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.
We had The Mark Group inject Rockwool into our Cavity Walls 2 Years ago.
This summer (with all the amount of rain we have had) we have a 3 ft round damp patch appear on the front of our house. Should the company surveyor noted that the house had concrete gutters and advised us that this was not a
good candidate for Cavity wall insulation? He never even looked at the gutters or asked us if we had Finlock guttering. We have a representative for the Mark Group coming out to investigate our problem. What do you think our options are?

Many thanks.

Regards.
Gary.

Sponsored Links
Finlok are notorious for leaking @ the joints - yours was probably leaking before the walls were insulated . But the water probably trickeled down the inside face of the outer brick - and with an open cavity it caused no problem . Now it`s creeping across the cavity . Answer is to have the gutters lined - just my opinion ;)

Yes, I think lining will be the answer but the damage is done and a survey of the property was not done in terms of if the house was suitable for insulation.
My problem is I don't feel we should pay for any remedy or damage correction as the house was probably not fit for insulation and the surveyor did not do any checks apart from drill into a wall.

Cheers.

Gary
:cry:

Yes, I think lining will be the answer but the damage is done and a survey of the property was not done in terms of if the house was suitable for insulation.
My problem is I don't feel we should pay for any remedy or damage correction as the house was probably not fit for insulation and the surveyor did not do any checks apart from drill into a wall.
You seem to be confusing them with with some kind of advanced surveyors when all they do is measure the cavity and have a bit of a looksee and anyway why whould they not just say your gutters were leaking. How much did you pay for your cavity wall insulation?

Sponsored Links
How much I paid has nothing to do with the fact that I have a huge damp patch through no fault of my own. I feel that they should correct the problem. Why should I be out of pocket?
In the Mark Group training manual (Downloaded from the internet) it states that the initial surveyor should and I quote 'Ensure all defects are recorded and agreed with the customer' also 'A photo must be taken for all elevations with particular attention being paid to difficult areas' and my favorite is to determine if CWI MAY BE AN OPTION CHECK THE FOLLOWING...CONDITION OF FINLOCK GUTTERING!!

Yarp, well good luck with your legal approach and make sure you maintain your gutters in future.

Go on though , how much did ya pay?

Perhaps one should assume the gutters was fine when the job was done, I mean no trouble for 2 years would certainly suggest that.

No trouble for 5 years actually, when we moved in. I have cleaned the gutters a few times and they were not in a very good condition. I have done research and it seems that any leak would just run down the inside of the cavity wall and cause no problem. Since Rockwool is absorbant!!...well its pretty clear what has happened. They should have checked and spotted the potential problem and advised us accordingly.

I was able to get free cavity wall and loft insulation (and a free £30 M&S voucher he he he!) through the recent governement deal. I had a survey completed and they never mentioned anything about the Finlock gutters. However, when the guys came to fit the cavity wall insulation, they refused to do the work because the gutters weren't lined. That was the first I have heard of it. The company said they would be caused too much damage if the guttering where leaking. I am now weighing up the issue of having them lined, and if so....with what product?? I have had 3 companies out, one said they use Rubberbond, the next prefers felt and the third little piggy like Acropol................any suggestions of which is best please?? I can't afford to have them removed so this option is out.

I am now weighing up the issue of having them lined, and if so....with what product??

Epdm works great on gutters and valleys

IMG00221-20110407-1326.jpg

IMG00217-20110406-1627.jpg

IMG00218-20110407-1058.jpg

Oh and obviously before I get flamed the lads did place the rubber under the existing felt after the pic was taken in pic 2!

we had MArk Group fill our cavities on a free goverment incentive 2 years ago, and every time it rains, my sons bedroom gets water leaking in through above the window, to the point that we have now knocked all the plaster off to try and stop the leaks. i am going to complain to mark group, as now having done some research. they should not have done the cavity insulation with the finlock guttering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back