Should electric sockets be mounted under boilers??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently having a completely new heating installation. I am having a Glowworm Flexicom x30 fitted. It has been fitted to the wall in my kitchen (and will eventually have a cupboard door covering it).

BUT... it have been mounted directly above a sunk double socket. This has been removed (and will be blanked off) due to the wipes running down from the boiler. A new socket has been mounted and situated over slightly. THe new socket is NOT sunk into the wall like the last was and it is now partly under the boiler and partly not. The new socket is 10cm below the boiler.

Aside from being an eye sore...is it legal/OK to have a socket under the boiler like this? I should say, this is not the socket that is powering the boiler. The electrician has used this to spur off a socket which is adjacent to the boiler and will be housed behind the same door. (I think it is a spur, it may be a switched socket).

Any advice??

Sponsored Links
I don't see anything wrong with it. Or are you expecting the boiler to spontaneously spray water all over the place?

Nothing wrong with socket under a boiler, flush or surface, as taylor says the boiler leaking would be an unforseen event like say a flood or the bath splitting open and drowning the electrics on he floor below.

Boilers hardly ever spring major leaks, a weeping joint or gasket is normally as bad as it gets after years of service.

we have a worcester combi with built in filling loop . loop is filled by using plastic key to operate valve under boiler.
every time the loop needs topping up ,water always escapes and squirts out when removing key from valve , now i just leave the key in the valve and turn off once done

Sponsored Links
Just also make a note of checking your boiler paperwork, some boilers need a clear unobstructed gap under the boiler for maintenance and part changing.

I know of a few boilers where condensate trap needs about 150-200mm for the trap to be taken out and cleaned on the service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back