Should I be able to see daylight in loft from soffit/facia?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts,

looking for some help, we have a house that had an extension build over the original garage. When we bought the house we were informed that planning permission had been received but it looks like building regs did not come out to sign off the work.

As requested from the solicitor we did buy an indemnity policy so we could proceed with the purchase.

one bone of contention is a bedroom that has been extended over the full length of the original garage - the room is always cold, and that despite having two radiators fitted by the previous owners.

I was sure there was no insulation in the room - but as there was no access from the original loft access I instructed a joiner to fit a new loft hatch in the bedroom with loft ladder.

Exactly as thought, no loft insulation had been laid. We've not resolved this and fitted some rockwool.

Now for two questions....

1. Now we can get into the loft I feel it's awfully drafty up there - should this be the case?

2. When it's a nice bright day we can see daylight coming through from the soffit/facias (not sure of the exact term), again should this be the case?

I've included some pictures, of a similar roof before the changes and the roof now.

I've also included pictured taken inside the loft.

Appreciate any guidance - just wondering if I have some remedial work to carry out.

Similar house roof before extension
//media.diynot.com/224000_223427_92974_86602809_thumb.jpg

Current extension
//media.diynot.com/224000_223427_92975_62830715_thumb.jpg

Inside
//media.diynot.com/224000_223427_92976_57824971_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/224000_223427_92977_51253118_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/224000_223427_92978_92167627_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/224000_223427_92979_16442990_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/224000_223427_92980_16716853_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/224000_223427_92981_53393223_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/224000_223427_92982_32921439_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
A draughty loft is a healthy loft. There's nothing inherently wrong in being able to see daylight through the fascias. How much rockwool did you add? What insulation is fitted on the sloping sections and the gable end? If any what kind of insulation is it? What insulation is fitted in the floor between the garage and the room?

Where is this bit in relation to the extension? :confused:

View media item 92975

A draughty loft is a healthy loft. There's nothing inherently wrong in being able to see daylight through the fascias. How much rockwool did you add? What insulation is fitted on the sloping sections and the gable end? If any what kind of insulation is it? What insulation is fitted in the floor between the garage and the room?

Where is this bit in relation to the extension? :confused:

View media item 92975

How much rockwool did you add? The joiner put this down for me, he used 3 packs of 170mm insulation (the dimension of the area is approx. 5m x 4m)

What insulation is fitted on the sloping sections and the gable end? Not sure will have to check this out for you. Sorry but are you asking if there's any insulation behind the white/grey felt/paper?

What insulation is fitted in the floor between the garage and the room?
Again I will have to check this out but just to clarify, downstairs was a double garage originally. And upstairs there was a landing with two dormer style windows.

Basically the extension was is to remove the dormers and bring the house forward in line with the garage and that's the picture you've copied.

so the pic is the final showing a downstairs window and a false garage door (this whole area is now another living room).. and upstairs is a large bedroom with flush windows.

I'm managed to find a better beforehand picture...

View media item 92991

Sponsored Links
Ahh OK, I didn't look at the links in your first post just the photos in your second post.

OK so forget the insulating of the sloping roof bit and forget the bit about the insulating between the garage and the rooms.

So how thick is the insulation above the ceiling not how many packs of insulation were used, pop your head up and measure how thick it is, should be about 300mm? Should be two layers and laid perpendicular to each other.

What about the walls then, do you know how the walls are insulated? Both in the original garage and the extension over the top?

Offpage but FWIW, the lead apron flashings at the two garage dormer windows should be treated with Patination oil - at a pinch you can use cooking oil. Just rub it in, dont overdo it.
This will prevent the unsightly run-off from the lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back