Should i be able to select HW and/or CH independently?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I moved into a new house before Christmas and typically, the previous residents left me no instructions for anything at all.

The central heating appears to be a pumped system consisting of boiler, hot tank, 1 valve (that i can see) , central heating pump & radiators.

The programmer is an ACL (drayton?) LS241

Here's the thing, I can select central heating (CH) on it (once, twice, off or on) and hot water (HW) with the same settings. However, i can only set CH on the programmer to come on at 2 times during the day. I think i should able to set HW on this as well? EG, i want HW before CH in the morning?

My questions to you are.

1. Can i set HW and CW independently on this programmer?
2. If not, is this a limitation of the programmer or the system design?
3. I have googled and can see a few replacement programmers that use the same back-plate as the LS241 so assuming its not system design, can i replace it to get what i need?

Most grateful for any advice.

Regards
snrweb

Sponsored Links
What type of system do you have 1st? Fully pumped with mod pos valve or zone valves for heat/hw. Or is it grav hw with pumpd heat?

The clock itself should, i think, have 3 black spades on the back which would allow you to change the settings to separate hw/heating timings. This is assuming your system set-up and wiring will accomadate it

Edit: I should read all of post bfore replying! Turn off electric and remove unit from backplate then check for previously mentioned black spades.

Thanks for the prompt reply :D

TBH, i am not sure what type of system i have. I can see only one valve next to the HW tank with V4073A1039 on it. I have googled this and it comes up as a mid-position valve so would this indicate gravity?

The HW tank is the other side of the wall with the boiler so does that indicate anything?

If it is gravity, perhaps that would explain why i cannot select HW on the programmer but i can select it manually?

Sponsored Links
sorry i edited the post above. Just seen 4073A1039 stamped on the valve, googled it and it came up as a mid pos valve. is it gravity?

3 pipes btw

Thats fully pumped with mid position valve. System should be compatable as long as its been wired up correctly

..is what I want to hear! I will turn off the power and check the back of the programmer to see if its been set wrong (ie for grav?). TBH i might change the programmer as

a. the existing one looks old and dirty
b. the wife will like a shiny new one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back