Should I be bothered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mira 9.8KW shower on 63A Niglon mini-unit (via Henleys) with 30mA RCD and 50A MCB.
Cabled for about 5 metres, mainly in plastic trunking up the wall (10mm cable). Pops into the loft for about 1 metre to get to the pull switch. Tacked to rafters above insulation.

1) Mira say to use a 45A MCB but Niglon don't seem to have one. Is it OK to keep the 50 or would another manufacturer's MCB fit this board?

2) My main cutout is 60A and I've had my DNO out to survey a possible 100A upgrade. But my 'Owl' monitor never goes over 45A usage when we use the shower, as we're careful not to have anything heavily electrical on at the same time. Frankly, the palaver of having my DNO, electricity supplier and my own spark all around at the same time seems a lot of hassle - should I bother?

3) Regarding the Owl. It has settings for 240 and 230 volts, so how can I find out my actual level, as this makes a big difference to the readings. I mean is there a diy tool that will measure this, rather than doing silly things that I'm not qualified for.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
But - as you have realised - your supply should really be upgraded because a major fault could take out the supply fuse, due to lack of discrimination with the shower circuit. .
I would think it would be a pretty obscure fault that would take out a 60A BS1361 before it took out a B50 breaker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back