I have a feeling this shouldn't happen!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 9.8KW shower on a Niglon combined 63A MCB/RCD sub main attached via Henley blocks. I test the RCD about once a month and it trips fine. Recently it's tripped the MCB too when I test it and I'm sure I've read somewhere that it shouldn't. This doesn't happen every time though, which is even more confusing. Everything re-sets and works normally afterwards, so need I do anything? The MCB is rated at 50A and the whole thing is wired in 10mm cable.

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but I'm sure Niglon isn't a recognised quality brand. That unit probably cost £20, one from MEM would have been about £50. Gets what yer pays for.

My guess is that the MCB trip mechanism is mechanically too sensitive and can be tripped by the mechanical vibration when the RCD snaps open.

Sponsored Links
Niglon are in the same league as efforts such as CTI, ECU, Cudis, and all those other 'brands' no one ever heard of.

Testing the RCD should never cause an MCB to trip.
Replace the MCB at least, personally I would replace both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back