Should I be worried about buying a house with this roof?

I’ll ignore the aggressive response and have one more go.

Energy bills are all to do with insulation levels, not the roof type or age. It’s not a crap roof, just old, but needs insulating properly because it will be loosing lots of heat through the substandard insulation.

Light shines up hill, water doesn’t flow up hill. That’s why you can see daylight in places but water doesn’t get in.

Literally millions of houses in the uk built 80-100 years ago will have a roof like mine or the one in your photos, and they’re water tight.

it will be dirty and dusty in the roof space, because bits of torching falling off as sand and the lack of felt means that it will be draughty up there. But we store stuff up in the loft, just covered in dust sheets. It’s one of the compromises you make with owning an older property.

I think you need to get your head round the differences between a new house and an old house.
What I find curious is I listen to you, or I listen to the 7-8 professionals who’ve seen the roof pictures and told me the complete opposite.

You might be cynical and say the roofers are just touting for business, but that doesn’t explain the surveyor’s opinion which came in an email exchange and phone call post survey that:

“A general overhauling of the roof is required” and “the major issue is the roof which is just begging to fail”.

Sponsored Links
I do know how much the roof would cost to replace, but I'm not going to say as you come across as ungrateful and arrogant so I don't really feel like helping you.
You might say that and you’re welcome to.

If you were paying the kind of money we’re being expected to pay you’d be meticulous too.

Happy holidays!

Whilst I genuinely appreciate the time you’ve taken to post this message, it really doesn’t help. Just because YOUR roof doesn’t leak it doesn’t mean this roof won’t or doesn’t.

How much are your energy bills with such a crap roof? How much could they be if you decided to improve the roof? Do you have a usable roof space? Would you need to improve the roof if you wanted to have a usable roof space?

To me, it defies physics that a roof that allows light in doesn’t allow water in any volume. And I am certainly skeptical about pressing ahead with a purchase until I’ve had 2-3 quotes from roofers telling me their views.

I’m not just looking to “maintain” with the bare minimum.
Pat Ex, is that you?!? ...

Sponsored Links
How much are your energy bills with such a crap roof? How much could they be if you decided to improve the roof?
A cold roof construction such as this has no effect on energy bills. The insulation in this property is not part of the roof construction and can be altered independently of it
Do you have a usable roof space? Would you need to improve the roof if you wanted to have a usable roof space?
You could do a loft conversion without re-roofing that, though I think I'd take the opportunity to replace it
To me, it defies physics that a roof that allows light in doesn’t allow water in any volume.
Next time it's raining, open an umbrella and put it close over your head so your head is inside the bowl of it. You'll note that your head remains dry yet you can still see your feet. This is because light is bouncing off your feet and travelling upwards to your eyes, but the water bouncing off your feet is not doing the same

Forgot to say that light visible through tiles does give an indication of where leaks could occur if the wind was strong enough to drive rain up against the slope of the roof - usually the bigger the gap, the more light and the easier time the wind would have, but it's not an exact science and it needs to be blowing surprisingly hard in the right direction to have the effect. Torching minimises it by minimising the airflow, as does something like a felt membrane close to the tiles; the more air can pile up and get (partially) blocked by something the less chance the wind has. I xterm all wind shading such as from trees also plays an important part in whether this can become a problem

Should I be concerned about buying a house with this roof/roof void?

Surveyor says the following work needs doing:
You should be concerned by asking an internet forum populated by various - unpaid- tradespeople with no axes to grind and no need to insure against being sued. Unfortunately the one who probably has the most knowledge - tell80 - has gone off for Christmas , but you can use the search facility ( top RH corner of screen ) to avail yourself of his ( and archived ) roofing knowledge. (y)

You should be concerned by asking an internet forum populated by various - unpaid- tradespeople with no axes to grind and no need to insure against being sued. Unfortunately the one who probably has the most knowledge - tell80 - has gone off for Christmas , but you can use the search facility ( top RH corner of screen ) to avail yourself of his ( and archived ) roofing knowledge. (y)
Cheers Nige.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back