Roofing advice needed on house survey results

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had our house survey back and would like some advice on any action you think we should take on this section about roof coverings (I'm aware of surveyors tendency for scaremongering but still want to check opinions on this). Wording as follows:

"main roof covering is a pitched and hipped design with covering of clay tiles....Cement mortar pointing applied to the underside of covering is in poor condition....

There is no underlay. Consequently damp penetration will occur but underlay can be installed when the covering is renewed. 

The roof covering needs an overhaul to ensure it doesn't leak including attention to defective tiles..."

Any suggestions/advice/quotes would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Post some photos of the roof on here.. either that or get a roofer or 2 out to give you some idea of what needs to be done..

If the tiles were in good nick then the lack of underlay or felt/membrane would not be a huge problem.

The fact that the torching is shot is more of a nuisance than anything.

However, if there are signs that the tiles are perished or delaminating then you are in trouble. It may be that there are only a few problematic tiles visible from the ground but this is usually misleading, as when the tiles are lifted they practically dissolve in your hands.

You are better to have a complete re-roof with all new tiles when this problem occurs.

Thank you for your responses.
I guess the only thing to do to know for sure is to get someone out to have a look at it. Hope it's not going to need a new roof! If it does, what are the expected costs of this? It's a 4 bed detached (extended to be 4 bed)
Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
I haven't seen a house yet where the torching is intact, after all this time.
Doesn't seem to make any difference at all, if the slates or tiles are secure.
I guess it was lime mortar that was used, to allow a little movement?
John :)

Cement mortar pointing applied to the underside of covering is in poor condition....

There is no underlay. Consequently damp penetration will occur

The roof covering needs an overhaul to ensure it doesn't leak attention to defective tiles... "

Firstly, its a crap description which implies a crap survey/surveyor

What the hell is "mortar pointing" applied to the underside of tiles? Pointing is in walls. Tiles have torching or mortar fillets, and in a laymans report mortar bedding

He's also very very wrong to state that damp penetration will occur due to there being no underlay. Thousands of properties have no underlay ... and no damp

As for the final statement ... what a load of drivel. "Needs an overhaul to ensure that it does not leak" - well is it leaking? Isn't it his job to check the roofspace for leaks? How exactly do you overhaul a roof to ensure that it doesn't leak ... replace it, check every tile?

The roof tiles are either at the end of their life or not. The tiles are either leaking or not. Individual tiles either need replacing/refixing or not.

What your surveyor should be saying is that the roof either needs some work to remedy leaks (which he should identify) or some specific preventative work to specific tiles or areas (again which he should specify). Not some general comment on renovating a whole roof. He should also comment on whether the roof as a whole is at the end of its life or nearing the end of its life

Right on woody, it's either leaking or not leaking, thats the main point.
I bet he stood peering in at the hatch( if that) and shone a torch around. I've heard of surveyors standing on the landing ( no steps) shining a torch up through the hatch and coming to an extensive opinon.

House Inspectors in the USA inspect everything including all utilities, and every thing is tested, some even water test ( hose pipes ) roofs and fabric and frames. They patrol the loft and crawl the house. All referrals to other trades are specified with evidence as to why the referral. Most of their reports are packed with photo/video .

Check out some of their house of horror sites or their sample reports. ( isn't the internet an amazing thing?)

The report does actually go on to say:

"Several of the nearby properties have been re-covered suggesting that the roof covering of this property may be approaching the end of its useful life.

Valley gutters are formed at the junction of roof slopes.

Unfortunately, we could not inspect the right-hand front valley nor some of the tiles close by. You are advised to instruct a competent roofing contractor to provide a report and quotation for the work required to the original roof covering, and to look at hidden areas "

So it seems the surveyor wasn't able to have a proper look at the roof like your comments say, and is judging it by the fact that other properties nearby have been 'recovered' - does this mean they've had a new roof?

I do think surveyors get away with far too many disclaimers and "I couldn't check this bit" to justify their costs.

I've commissioned four surveys, 3 were worded very much like this "could be", "recommend you instruct professionals" (thought I did?) and "We can't be sued if this bit fails".

Only one filled me with any competence he'd been in the same county as the building he surveyed, and I watched him do it. Took a full day, plus half a day writing the report.

Beginning to wonder if it's better to employ an experienced builder to check a house in those situations a mortgager doesn't insist.

I do think surveyors get away with far too many disclaimers and "I couldn't check this bit" to justify their costs.

I've commissioned four surveys, 3 were worded very much like this "could be", "recommend you instruct professionals" (thought I did?) and "We can't be sued if this bit fails".

I couldn't agree with you more! We had to get a total of 4 different survey/reports on the last house we were about to buy, and each one of them was as vague as the first. All saying 'get a professional to investigate' - that's exactly what I thought we'd requested!

So frustrating when you pay so much money only to end up none the wiser.

With regards to our roof, I'm going to revert to the yellow pages I think and just get someone out to take a look (and hope they're trustworthy!)

The report does actually go on to say:

"Several of the nearby properties have been re-covered suggesting that the roof covering of this property may be approaching the end of its useful life.

Again that's a totally wrong statement to make.

The surveyor will be able to determine how old the property is. He will also be able to determine if the tiles are original, and by deduction their likely age and condition.

He should also be able to say with a high degree of confidence if the tiles on subject property are in good condition or not - and not make a comparison with other properties which may have had replacement tiles for different reasons

Even on the same roof, front tiles may be completely shot, but rear tiles have another 10-20 years life.

Your surveyor is guessing and generalising and that is not surveying

It's true that he may not have been able to check all the roof to give an exact comment, but he could have given a fairly accurate opinion.

It will be a minefield finding an honest roofer, but that's not to say that every one is out to rip you off. You could ask them to use, or borrow them a digital camera to show you the condition. Or you could pay say £50 for a report from a large reputable firm on the basis that they wont be getting the work you just want a report.

Another tip is to say that you want something in writing (even if you must pay for it) detailing any problems and that other people will be looking at this and may even check the roof themselves to confirm the accuracy of the report as its part of a claim you are making. This will put them on their guard not to over-exaggerate defects

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back