Survey Results regarding Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have just received our survey back for a house we are looking to purchase. Under the internal condition section the following is mentioned:

'The underside of the tiling was torched. This torching is now perished which may allow damp penetration in extreme weather conditions. The remedy is to re-point or alternatively strip the roof, line batten and re-tile.'

Now obviously the latter part of that statement sends alarm bells ringing due to the cost but should we be concerned? I have read that a lot of houses torching will be perished by now (it is a 1930s detached house) and as long as the tiles are secure (which he mentioned are of satisfactory condition) then everything should be fine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Adam

Sponsored Links
Did he mention the condition of the laths?

The nails will be shot, does the roof have verges?

I would expect a 1930's house to require re-roofing and would certainly budget for that.

Thanks for the reply!

He didn't mention anything about the condition of the laths.

No the roof does not have verges.

So should we assume the roof will need re-roofing?

Sounds like a typical useless homebuyers survey, millions of houses across the UK have no felt or have felt that has decayed, they don't leak.

What the hell does re-point the roof mean in the context that the felt has perished? Hoe can he tell what the pointing for the roof is like when he's only looked at the inside?

Can you go and get some decent photos of the inside and outside of the roof and post them back?

Sponsored Links
I am assuming they are a Rosemary clay tile or similar.

These tiles have a tendency to shale at this age and become very thin and fragile, maybe you could check this?

As I say, I would budget for a new roof as chances are it needs one.

Any mention of lead workin the survey?

Remember that roof inspections are done from the ground, a surveyor does not go up and carry out a close inspection.

Thank you for the replies so far.

They are plain edged clay tiles having round ridge and hip tiling. He said the tiling appears satisfactory but weathered. He mentioned that a small number of neighboring properties have had the roofs re-covered.

Basically if we move in this month are we ok for a couple of years that would be the main concern if we weren't.

Sounds like a typical useless homebuyers survey, millions of houses across the UK have no felt or have felt that has decayed, they don't leak.

What the hell does re-point the roof mean in the context that the felt has perished? Hoe can he tell what the pointing for the roof is like when he's only looked at the inside?

Can you go and get some decent photos of the inside and outside of the roof and post them back?

The surveyor means the torching between the tile and laths has deteriorated.his report shows this roof to be original so 85 years old.

They are plain edged clay tiles having round ridge and hip tiling. He said the tiling appears satisfactory but weathered. He mentioned that a small number of neighboring properties have had the roofs re-covered.

Basically if we move in this month are we ok for a couple of years that would be the main concern if we weren't.

Yes you will be OK, maybe some ongoing repairs will be needed until re-roof is carried out.

I would certainly look at a reduction in price unless it is an absolute bargain.

Yes you will be OK, maybe some ongoing repairs will be needed until re-roof is carried out.

I would certainly look at a reduction in price unless it is an absolute bargain.

Ok thanks for that. We managed to knock off £5000 off of the price, we will consider what to do next. Thank you for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back