Should I be worried about these cracks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed these cracks near the chimney stack in the attic of my terraced house. I seem to remember the surveyer couldn't get attic access prior to purchase so nothing mentioned on the survey.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'd go and talk to them. Woodys right in that if the flues not being used, there's isn't any danger, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be investigated; then you can rest easy.

I'd go and talk to them. Woodys right in that if the flues not being used, there's isn't any danger, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be investigated; then you can rest easy.

Thanks. Not using the flues, but the main crack (on the lower left) isn't on the flue is it?

No, the chimney flue is the bit that's sticking out from the wall.

Had a much worse crack on a house that I was working at recently, we had a structural engineer take a look and he felt it was historic and nothing to be concerned about. Yours looks like settlement if you can put a level on the inside of the external walls in the rooms below where the crack is you can see if it's pushing the walls out of plumb, check externally if you can put some ladders up.

If the external walls are plumb and theres no evidence of a problem forget about it, if the wall is being pushed out maybe it would be worth the expense in having it checked professionally.

If you paid for a structural survey that's a different thing ....get on to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back