Should I be worried - caused a crack in my artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Daft post I know, ventured up into the loft for the first time today and out my foot into bit that's not boarded by accident.

Caused a minor crack in the artex ceiling but don't know if it contains asbestos (late 60's house) so could well do.

It doesn't look major but not sure if I should worry it leave it for now

Attachments

• 15468626610954399585383840458048.jpg
    15468626610954399585383840458048.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 551
Sponsored Links
don't worry.

whack a load of paint on it and semi glue it all back together.

If it's Artex and done prior to the 1980s it will contain a small amount of asbestos. AFAIK they stopped using asbestos fibres in Artex before 1990.

Removing it, any of it, presents far greater potential hazards than encapsulating it (the standard approach in habitable buildings). I think I'm inclined to agree to an extent with the others - damp it down with a damp sponge, stipple PVA glue into it and once dry fill using a dampened brush to stipple the filler in. I'd get a close fitting P3 dust mask to wear whilst you are doing this. Keeping everything damp prevents the fibres from becoming airborne and greatly reduces the potential hazard. Whatever you do with asbestos always avoid vacuuming the dust up with a domestic vacuum cleaner - the fibres are so fine (finer than a human hair and so fine that the human eye cannot resolve them individually) that they'll get blown straight through the filter/bag and redistributed throughout your house by a home vac.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back