Should I be worried? "Sockitz" plastic guards.

Sponsored Links
A problem with plastering around something is the plaster ends up not flat and when the accessory is fitted to the uneven surface it gets twisted to make it sit 'tight' or there are gaps. I've always found the easiest thing is to remove any accessories, tuck the cables in (Terminated and water proofed if required) and protect with cardboard or even screwed up newspaper including the lugs. The plasterer is then able to get on with his job unhindered. The finish is a perfectly flat surface done in a fraction of the time. As the plaster is drying the position will show and a simple scratch is enough to show through a painted finish. Then it's easy to remove the spoil and replace accessory for a perfect finish - if papering do that first.

I think I'm agreeing with secure.

I have some plastic caps that screw onto empty socket and switch boxes, the idea is that a plasterer or tiler can work over or round them, and when removed the accessory will fit perfectly. You can carve away excess plaster easily, preferably while it is still damp or cheesy, and the wires and inside of the backbox are clean.

If anyone hasn't seen the installation video, there shouldn't need to be any cutting for cable access, and I can see how it would be useful for plastering/painting up to.

The OP's are of the reusable type! :oops:

Yes I watched the video and my very first reaction was - I'd have to cut it where the cable enters the side of the box. - Very few cables enter from the rear as shown in the video. Or Am I missing the point here?
1682678774935.png

Sponsored Links
Why would it?
Because most of these products have to be broken off, so it was a reasonable assumption for them to make. Also if they wanted to use them then they would have supplied them. There would be no legitimate grounds in law to seek recompense.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
A problem with plastering around something is the plaster ends up not flat and when the accessory is fitted to the uneven surface it gets twisted to make it sit 'tight' or there are gaps. I've always found the easiest thing is to remove any accessories, tuck the cables in (Terminated and water proofed if required) and protect with cardboard or even screwed up newspaper including the lugs.
I can see though that some H+S types may not be terriblly happy about the idea of a plasterer spreading wet plaster over live electrical wires and connections that while somewhat protected are not in a proper enclosure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back