Should I change electric water boiler to combi or keep electric if I have solar panels?

wwr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I would appreciate advice from people who know their way around boilers or had similar issue. I would be using professionals to do the work but can't decide what is best for me as never owned a house before.

It's me and my wife, we just purchased a 3 bedroom house with: solar panels, electric immersion tank heater + shower pump, cold water tank at the attic and gas boiler for heating at the attic. Shower pump broke.

I now have two options and not sure which to pick:
1. Replace the pump with a new, quieter pump. This will also require replacing some valves that were seized. I was quoted approx. £600. Pump and electric immersion tank heater are in a cupboard in the bedroom, so we can't have one person sleeping and the other showering at the same time.

2. Remove the electric immersion tank heater, pump, water tank at the attic and replace gas boiler with a combi boiler. I was told that electric boilers break all the time. Approx. £3000 (my budget allows that). This would remove the bedroom noise but I wouldn't get less mileage from the solar panels (previous owner told me they paid almost nothing for electricity during sunny months, during winter I'm paying less than £1/day).

I would really appreciate some help, thank you.

Sponsored Links
3. Keep existing boiler and get an unvented cylinder which will be cheaper than 2, allow you to do away with the pumps, and mean you can still use your solar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back