Should I fit 20 year old PVCu frames?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
22 years ago I installed good quality woodgrain effect PVCu windows and doors in a small terraced cottage. The supplier then told me that the finish was faulty and was expected to fade and they had to replace them. As I had just purchased the cottage next door and the windows and doors were exactly the same size I had an idea. Rather than take out the faulty ones and refit the new ones, could I deal with any problems arising with the windows and they just supply the replacements for me to fit in the second cottage later on. They agreed.

In the event, other things happened in my life and I never got around to renovating the property next door until now. The replacement door frame and window frames have remained in their packaging in my shed, stored upright resting on their longest edge.

How much have PVCu frames moved on over the last 20-odd years and would it be a false economy to use them?

The windows are not particularly large – they were for replacing standard size sash windows but have the fixed rail across the middle and a top opening light.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

(By the way, the original windows did fade as expected but have served me well.)

Sponsored Links
Double glazing is much like computers - if its a year old its out of date!

Current regs state windows need to attain a minimum of 'C' rating, i would hazzard a guess yours would not get near that because of low spec glass and possibly inferior pvc profile

PVC profile systems (incuding colour fasteness lol!), locking mechanisms, glass and DGU in general have moved on 10 fold over 20 years. I know its easy for me to say as its not my money but i would buy the latest spec windows even if only 'C' rated (the bare minimum allowed) and eBay the 20 year old ones you have

As stated they would never meet modern regs I'm afraid.

Having said that If none of your neighbors would grass you up Id probably just do it seeing as you have them. They are obviously going to be better than the current single glazing.

Worst that can happen is you get busted and forced to take them out or when you come to sell the property you may have to take out an indemnity insurance policy (about £100) for not having a Fensa certificate.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Crank39 and Gazman16.

Does that mean that the regs cover the frames? I thought they just covered the glass. I don't have glass, just the frames.

If the frames are beyond the scope of the regulations I'm tempted to use them, with modern glazing of course.

I note what you say about inferior profile. Do you feel that the difference between 20 year old frames and modern ones is significant, in terms of insulation, security or other qualities?

If so, I'm inclined to scrap them and buy new but welcome comments to try to ensure I'm not being stupid (or perhaps I should say no more stupid than usual) by chucking away £££loads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back