Should I go in for planning again?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The council have approved my application for a 5m single storey extension

However due to an technical issue, we now have to push the extension out to 5.18m

For the sake of 18 cms, do I have to go back and submit another application for 'prior approval' with the council?

If I dont and someone catches wind of this (like a nosy neighbour), could the council force me to tear down my extension?

Or am I worried about nothing?

Sponsored Links
Well you could apply again. But in doing so the same neighbours who were informed before and presumably did not object initially will be notified again. But now that they've seen the extension going up they might object this time round. I'd be inclined to not worry about it, even if the planners were presented with such an application either under Prior Approval or a forced retrospective planning application they'd have to be pretty dopey/pedantic or have a good reason not to accept it. There's much debate on these threads as to how much tolerance can/should be applied to what's built compared to what's applied for and little concluded.

Sponsored Links
Worried about nothing, I would leave it.

18cm over 500 cm is around 3 % error , negligible.

Many thanks guys.

I wouldn't be concerned at all, but I have a nosy/ jealous neighbour who has tried every trick in the book to prevent us from building the extension.

I wouldn't put it past her to get the measuring tape out and call the council.

Anyway, glad there is nothing to be worried about

Well you could apply again. But in doing so the same neighbours who were informed before and presumably did not object initially will be notified again. But now that they've seen the extension going up they might object this time round.
The aforementioned neighbour objected :D

I wouldn't say anything about it, the council won't get involved for 18cm.

If your neighbour complains the council may ask you to submit a retrospective planning application, it's unlikely to get refused for 18cm provided it has no bigger impact than it would of it was at 5m

How is the neighbour going to know about the increase , if they come onto your property to measure the extension that would be trespass

If your neighbour complains the council may ask you to submit a retrospective planning application, it's unlikely to get refused for 18cm provided it has no bigger impact than it would of it was at 5m

A planning application will be assessed based on the local planning polices, and a typical 5m extension may not conform.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back