Should I have 2 pumps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having a pump installed 'cos the water pressure is awful. Is that the same as having very little head pressure?

I have 2 bathroom and the pressure is awful in both of them. Since I am having a new pump fitted, does it make more sense to have 2 pumps fitted (one at the source of the hot water, the other at the source of the cold water) so that the whole house has better water pressure? Or do you think with 5 people using the bathroom, the hot water would be used up too quickly?

Sponsored Links
Without proper details of your system we dont know.

Five showers would need a MINIMUM of 350 litres of stored hot water and thats for just a 10 minute lower flow rate shower!

Tony

Sorry, my post was meant to go on an existing thread...but I appear to have started a new one by accident.

Anyway, I have a hot water cylinder on the ground floor and a cold water tank in the attic. The pressure is awful in both bathrooms. I had a pump in one bathroom, but I'm now having the pump replaced and I'm not sure if this is the right time to tackle the bad pressure in the other bathroom also by having a pump at the sources of the hot and cold waters so that both bathrooms get good pressure.

Also, I'm undecided beetween a Stuart Turner or Salamander +ve pump. I need something quiet and reliable.

You should NOT add your posting to a new thread. A moderator has probably split it for you ( although he should have made a note about that. )

Without details of what you have no one can say how suitable it may be. Surely if you are having a competent plumber fit the pump for you then he will be able to advise you?

I dont find any shower pumps reliable or quiet although the Stuart Turner are about the best you can get.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Surely if you are having a competent plumber fit the pump for you then he will be able to advise you?
I wouldn’t bank on it; you’d be surprised how many get it completely wrong. :rolleyes:

If you have very little gravity flow, you could be in a negative head situation. A conventional positive head pump will not trigger under negative head conditions, you may need a negative head pump.

As Agile states, running 5 consecutive power showers for any length of time will require considerable H/W storage & the C/W storage tank really needs to be 1/2 as big again. Stuart Turner Monsoon range is V good & quiet compared to some; pump reliability & longevity is usually directly related to good installation.

You can have a whole house pumped system but pump noise can be a nuisance every time someone turns on a tap. You don’t necessarily need 2 separate pumps for a whole house system but it may involve changing the existing pipe work layout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back