should i keep ideal mexico super cf40/60 or replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've just moved into a house that's got a vented CH and DHW system running off an Ideal Mexico 2 floor standing boiler installed in 1987.

Everything works OK but i'm concerned how much this boiler is costing to run (won't find out till i get my first gas bill). I can't decide whether to replace the boiler under the scrappage scheme or not and would appreciate any advice from the experts on here.

I want to stay on a vented system as it works well for us.

None of the radiators have trv's and there is no roomstat so the only way I can control the temperature is by the dial on the front of the boiler.

I've read that modern boilers have a lifetime of only around 10 years, is this true? If so, it may not be cost effective to replace the current boiler unless it is likely to cost more and more in repairs over the years?

Any advice appreciated,

Rob

Sponsored Links
Anyone any thoughts on my above questions please?

I've just had my first quote back for replacing the boiler.

They guy has recommended a Worcester bosch 15 ri boiler - are these any good?

Price has come in at just short of £2300 for removing old boiler, fitting new one, fitting 5 TRV's, supplying and fitting honewell 24 hr smartfit heating controls on a Y plan, and a power flush. Does this sound reasonable for the west yorkshire area?

Regards,

Rob

Your boiler won,t qualify for the scrappage scheme,only G rated will qualify :cry:

Sponsored Links
Keep the Mexico.Reliable unit
The 15ri will not out-perform it in any other area than energy efficiency. It will take a long time to claw back the £2kplus outlay.

my main concern is availability of parts for the mexico - it was installed in 1987. I think it has been serviced every year. How long should i expect a boiler so old to realistically last?

I'm edging towards keeping it as i've heard that modern boilers don't last much longer than 10 years - so the money i save in gas will be wasted on new boiler every 10 years or so.

true, if you do change boiler stay 1million miles away from 24v smartfit kits noisy will wake you up..:cool: worcesterRi are good boilers.
don't forget the pump overrun tho :)

OK, just had another plumber out to quote and he came back with a price of £1450.

This is for a Broag 15v boiler - from what i've read, broag seem like good boilers if you want a combi but can't find much about their heat only boilers. Are they OK?

His price includes boiler, flue, danfoss tp5000 stat/programmer, 5 trvs, system flush and all labour. seems like a good price to me but i'm a bit concerned as it's nearly £1000 cheaper than the other guy. Does the price sound too cheap for a decent job?

Rob

At that price it sounds like he wants the job.

If you are able to get the £400 scrappage discount on top of that I would say you are onto a good thing.

Can't see how he can possible make any money out of that.

I would always suggest changing to a system boiler rather than keeping with open vented.

In this case the Avanta 18S.

I would always suggest changing to a system boiler rather than keeping with open vented.

In this case the Avanta 18S.

In years to come I'd be more confident of finding spares for a 1987 Mexico than the Avanta.

Yes they've joined with Baxi, but being part of Bosch didn't stop Buderus bottling out of UK domestic CH.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I think I'm going to keep the old IDEAL boiler (it's a mexico super cf40/60 by the way)

Should i expect many problems with it as long as i keep getting it serviced?

Final question - it doesn't have a room stat at the moment but does have a timer/programmer. Would it be easy for me to fit a room stat to this boiler and if so, which one is recommended for ease of installation?

Thanks again

Rob

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I think I'm going to keep the old IDEAL boiler (it's a mexico super cf40/60 by the way)

Good call. Mine's an E type of around 1975-80 vintage - aside from a lowish efficiency it is trouble-free.

Should i expect many problems with it as long as i keep getting it serviced?

In short, no. The thermocouple will likely need replacing from time to time (cheap). The gas valve might fail eventually (not so cheap). Not much else to go wrong.

Final question - it doesn't have a room stat at the moment but does have a timer/programmer. Would it be easy for me to fit a room stat to this boiler and if so, which one is recommended for ease of installation?

It isn't difficult if you know just a little about electrics. You need to check how it is wired first. The new thermostat goes in the live feed to the pump. It doesn't make much difference what thermostat you go for - some don't need a neutral connection which saves a wire but it's no bother either way and anyway you're better running a neutral in case you ever need it later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back